internet was working, possible virus download, now it isn't

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited June 2007 in Science & Tech
its not actually my machine with the problem its my friends computer

they have a wireless router which they connect through

there are 2 pc's connected

one is a laptop and one is a desktop

the laptop and desktop were working fine until the other day when the desktop stopped connecting to the net

in the networking software it shows that the computer is still connected to the network with a strong signal but i cant seem to get it to connect to the net at all

now my friend has this problem before but it turned out to be an ie problem which i fixed by using firefox to do my homework and it turned out to be because of something yahoo had installed on ie. i disabled that then it worked fine

now my friends dad was using the comp when it all went wrong

he said a box popped up prompting him to download an update which he did, and after that he couldnt connect to the net anymore

im thinking possible spyware issue but before i go round there later i wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions

my networking knowledge is very basic, would deleting the network connection and then re configuring it do any good?

i assumed not because the connection to the network is strong but of course im no expert

so, any ideas?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Windows/Microsoft updates do not come as 'pop-ups'...you/they have spyware now.

Please start at Step 1 and continue down the thread to clean nearly anything that is on your system:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43902

You may have to try this in Safemode with Networking or download the files and run it with no updates to see if it gets rid of your spyware.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    See, that's why my dad has a Mac.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited June 2007
    See, that's why my dad has a Mac.

lol fair enough

they are hardly problem free though
    edited June 2007
    Yeah but he's dumbfounded enough by getting it to read his email and since nothing but mac crap runs on a macintrash, I really don't have to service it much.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    Here's your checklist

Power off all the computers
    Power off the router/modem
    Power on the modem wait 2 mins
    Power on the router wait 2 mins until link light is stable
    Power on the computer that was working - test connections
    Power on the computer in question.
    Go to do DOS (start>run>cmd) type ipconfig /all
    Check to see it's getting an ip that doesn't start 169 and a DNS that isn't 0.0.0.0
    If it is from dos ping www.google.com it should should resolve to an IP and come back with result times.
    If that's working your network connection is working - then you troubleshoot your browser.
    If that doesn't work exit DOS
    Go into network properties for your wireless connection and double check all the settings there. If you are using DHCP to obtain your network info change it to a static setting. Do the DOS tests again.
    If it's still not working log into the wireless router and see if it's detecting your computer - and while your there any other devices that it shouldn't be.

Then report back.
    edited June 2007
    Ok its now resolved

nortons firewall was blocking the computers connection to the internet

i disabled the firewall and now it works fine

im sure there would have been a way of reconfiguring it to work again but i have now got him using zonealarm and avg free instead of norton rubbish

oh how i hate norton

now he just has a spyware problem which i will resolve next time im there

thanks people
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2007
    Just think, his computer will probably run a lot faster now with that horrible Norton crap off the machine. I feel sorry for all the customers who come in my office with Norton installed.
    edited June 2007
    yeah, but telling someone the software they just paid for is crap and convincing them that a free program such as avg is a better option is easier said than done
    edited June 2007
    Not really. Don't tell them, show them. actions speak louder than words.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited June 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    Just think, his computer will probably run a lot faster now with that horrible Norton crap off the machine. I feel sorry for all the customers who come in my office with Norton installed.

Lol! Norton is so bad... I hear my grandfather tell me about how he hates virus's and that he has all of this anti-thisandthat software and I say to him, "Just get AVG..."
    edited June 2007
    checkmate wrote:
    Lol! Norton is so bad... I hear my grandfather tell me about how he hates virus's and that he has all of this anti-thisandthat software and I say to him, "Just get AVG..."

and i bet you have the same struggle i have on a regular basis telling people that their bloated anti virus is crap
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Avast! > others
    edited June 2007
    i like ABN (Anything But Norton)
    edited June 2007
    I prefer Common Sense®.
  • edited June 2007
    people please get back on topic. This guy has a problem and he asks for help.

Yes removing the connection and reconfiguring it might help.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    HisChild wrote:
    people please get back on topic. This guy has a problem and he asks for help.

Yes removing the connection and reconfiguring it might help.

The problem was already solved. Several posts back, that's when the topic changed.
    edited June 2007
    lol