What type of Graphics card?

edited June 2007 in Hardware
What type of Graphics card is better Invidia, GT or GS?
I was just wondering because I may be in the line for a new computer here in a few months.

Sniper

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    GT
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks for the info csimon
    edited May 2007
    no problem. Are you planning on gaming with it? If so what game(s)?
    Are you going to add it to a current machine? If so is the video slot AGP or PCI-E?
  • edited May 2007
    New Computer and yes Im planning on gaming with it. BF1942, BF2, NFS series, and other high graphics games.

Sniper
    edited May 2007
    New Computer and yes Im planning on gaming with it. BF1942, BF2, NFS series, and other high graphics games.

Sniper

In that case you're all set! I'd highly recommend a DX10 capable card at this stage.
  • edited May 2007
    thanks for your help,

Sniper
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Sniper what cards are you looking at? Just because it is a GT doesn't make it a high end good gaming card...
  • edited May 2007
    This is for a quad core desktop that Im planning on getting a little later
    SLI NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT 512 MB w/DVI + TV Video Out

This one is for the laptop that Im gonna get at the end of the summer.
    Mobility 256MB ATI Radeon X1600 PCI-express 3D video
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    The 7300 GT is a pretty bad card for the games you described, especially at high resolutions.
  • edited May 2007
    what would be a good Nvidia GeForce SLI card that would work good for these games?

Sniper
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    The bigger the number the better. :) IE 7900 or 8800.
  • edited May 2007
    Even if it has less MB's then the 7300?
    edited May 2007
    hmm you should read this...

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43974

might help you a bit... let me know if you have any questions after your done reading...
    edited May 2007
    You can get video cards with 640mb+. And no thats not the most important factor in choosing a video card.
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks Ill look through that more when I get the money to make the purchase
    Sniper
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited May 2007
    I did not read the articles mentioned above, but it really depends on EXACTLY what you will be doing with the video card (uses), and their respective feature sets will need to match your needs. What is your maximum price range? What resolutions will you be playing at?

I'd recommend DX10 for near future proofing yourself (Direct X updates are lingering no doubt for the current release). But if you seemingly have cash to burn, and seeing as how the games you are looking to play are DirectX 9, the cards you spoke of and many other in that group are fine (you can buy the 7300GT now and upgrade later...seems impractical though). The other question is resolution and eye candy. Do you plan on playing the game with higher resolution? What about AA and AF quality and such?

The x1950Pro and X1950XT DX9 card are at good pricing right now for higher end gaming from the ATI camp ranging from $160 to $240 (DX9). The 7950GT can be had for around $240 right now with 512 MB (DX9). But then you are heading into 8800GTS 320MB territory now, where you can get one for around $280 and will beat all of the above listed cards in pretty much all respects.

Although just based on your choices of card, you might pay more in the long run SLi'ing the two 7300GTs, which still won't get you that much of a performance increase. They have restrictive 64 and 128 bit memory interfaces, where larger resolutions are going to take a slam. For a tad higher of the price of an X1600, you could get an X1900GT. But overall, if you wait until ATI releases their lower end parts of the 2K series (June), the Nvidia competitors may drop their lower end parts in response. The 8600GTS looks good right now for around $180, unfortunately only having a 128 bit interface...oc'd it looks really good with higher resolutions and is DX10 compatible.
  • edited June 2007
    mostly id like to do high resolution gaming, computer tech work, maybe some modding of different games and stuff, all stuff that im gonna need a real good computer with as good graphics as I can get with a computer for somewhere between $2000 and $2400.

Sniper
  • edited June 2007
    What About the SLI NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 256MB

Compared to the 7950 of the 256MB and the 512MB version.

or the 8600GT the 256MB version

Sniper
    edited June 2007
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/01/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/

Pick your price range and choose a card or compare cards from different price ranges.
  • edited June 2007
    Looks like the 7950 cards are the best out of those 3.
    edited June 2007
    1 8800GTX will be faster than 2 8600's or 2 8500's
    edited June 2007
    And a 7950 if you want the best.
  • edited June 2007
    The 8800GTX is too expensive for me, so the highest Id think about going would be the SLI 7950GT 256MB or the 512MB version. This is gonna be for a computer I wont be able to get for sometime between 2-3 yrs probably. its an Intel Quad-Core.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited June 2007
    in 2 to 3 years they are going to have graphics cards we cant even imagine. Perhaps it is best to wait until then to make your decision. Even if you have an 8800GTX, in 3 years it will most likely be a lower range video card.
  • edited June 2007
    Ill be back on here about it when I get the money to purchase it.
    Sniper