New External HD

ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I have some files that I need to back up - I have done some research online and talk the talk at the stores - I was wondering about personal experiences any of you had with external HD
I am not a newbie - been playing with these wonders ? Curses:rolleyes::wink:
since the T1/99, I just do not have the cash to experiment with much more than newly deemed archaic equipment.
200 to 500 Gb is the area I will Probably need.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Seagate and WD externals are generally the best. They work like a flash drive; plug them in, they show up as a drive in Windows Explorer.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Thank you- Is it really better to go encased (as I have read)- or is simple external reliable enough?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Alot of external hard drives have a fan in there to cool it off.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Buffalo makes an external loaded enclosure named Drive Station. It is identical to a WD External and will save you quite a few bucks over the WD.

I have never been much for Buffalo products, but since they came out with the Link Station Pro and the Drive Station externals I think they have finally hit the mark. Good products, fast performance, and great prices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414+50001646&Subcategory=414&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    Thank you- Is it really better to go encased (as I have read)- or is simple external reliable enough?

You'll generally want an encased drive, but if you use an internal drive (if you have them lying around) as an external backup device, just remember you have to dig out the power cable each time you use it and you should keep it in at least an anti-stat bag. You can also buy enclosures, removeables, hot-swappables, etc,- just whatever you'd like.

My personal favorite is a laptop drive in a USB enclosure. You can pack around a lot of storage in your shirt pocket, you don't have to pack a power cord (just the USB cable) and it can take quite a beating. I use it more for portable emergency/temporary storage and huge transfers.