Slow Comp

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I am at my Grandpa's house messing around with his lappy. It is a HP Pavilion. It has a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. It is running slower then crap. I ran Ad-Aware to see if it was just crap built up on his system, however it was not. It helped some trying to get some of the start-up programs off, but still having hard time even opening something basic. I know there is a power management something or other. When I go into to device manager it says the proc is running aat 767 mhz. Does anyone know how to diable this setting so that it will run at full speed all the time.

Any tips are welcome!

Comments

• Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited May 2007
    I just ran prime95 and then brought up cpu-z to see if it was adjusting back to the correct speed. Just going through steps to try and figure it out. Probably way off base though.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2007
    This may help a little (my wife has about the same laptop)-

Clean-up and defrag the drive. Also check the amount of space that is left. For me- when HDs get to about 40-25% space remaining, it's time to either get rid of what I don't need or grow into something bigger and faster. If it's getting pretty crowded, I can't think of another thing that will improve an LT's performance more than a speedier and roomier drive.

Just a thought ... ;)

As far as the weird MHz- I'll have to get back to you on that. EDIT Added: Can you tell me what model number it is- that's pretty important.