Laptop Upgrades

jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Just out of pure curiosity, what kind of things are upgradeable on a laptop?

I have a Toshiba A35-S1592 with a 2.7 Celeron and "512" megs of RAM. Is there any way to pop a Pentium and increase RAM speed? Any idea what mobo I might have? I'd really like a new laptop but I don't think that is gonna happen, so I'd like to make this thing livable. I think a new 7200rpm HDD would do wonders too... Along with more than 40gb of space.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    You can probably changed the hard drive if you open up the laptop, and adding memory shouldn't be a problem. Most processors are non-removable though.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Unlike Desktop systems, notebooks aren't really meant to be modular. You have to sacrifice universal component interfaces for compact size.

All laptop components are proprietary except, sometimes, the HD. You can usually just replace the HD with another 3.5" form-factor drive (but not always). Almost as often, the RAM can be upgraded with sticks that are compatable with your specific manufacturer. Otherwise, it's up to your laptop manufacturer which pieces they want to offer upgraded versions of.

You can call them or check their website to see if they still support your model, and how much it might cost.

In my experience, you're usually better off getting a new machine than doing an overhaul of an existing laptop.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    External Video card, HDD, Mem....about it for the most part. External monitor.