Emergency keyboard problem!

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hello, I'm new here. I have a serious problem that might involve formatting and reinstalling everything, but I wanted to try you guys first. No one else has been able to help me so far, and I heard that you know what you're talking about here.

This may not seem like an emergency at first, but let me just emphasize that I'm a writer so this is a serious problem that is affecting my livelihood!

I've always used the US-international keyboard in Windows XP because when I write, I often have to use international characters. With the US-international keyboard, one has to type the apostrophe or quotation key and then hit another key before it will appear i.e. if you type an apostrophe and then an "s", it will come out as ('s) like it should. This is so that accents on vowels can be easily typed.

Today, a strange problem began happening and I can't figure out the reason. Suddenly, when I type an apostrophe (') I end up with two apostrophes with only one keystroke (''). This also happens with quotations (""), the grave accent (``), tildes (~~), and carets (^^). When I hit any of these keys, I get double!

The strangest thing is, when I restart my computer and begin fresh, everything behaves normally until I open up a folder! I can open up Firefox or my email program and type away normally. As soon as I open up a folder, this problem occurs and the only way to stop it is to restart again or switch to the regular US keyboard.

The other strange thing that started happening is that the buttons on the side of my mouse (the Logitech MX500) no longer work when navigating folders, but they work normally when I navigate through webpages in Firefox.

I'm not exactly sure when these problems started happening, but it was today. What I did today was install some language dictionaries and a verb conjugator program on my computer. I know that these programs didn't cause the problem because I've had them installed before without any issues, and I have two friends who use them. I also did a virus scan with Kaspersky Anti-virus 6.0. It detected two trojans, which it then neutralized, but I think it may have identified some important files as viruses and then deleted them. I'm really beginning to hate this new anti-virus program. It seems to think that everything is a virus! From the log:

deleted: Trojan program Backdoor.Win32.IRCBot.oj File: C:\DOCUME~1\Nathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\hbd.dll//PE_Patch.PECompact//PecBundle//PECompact

deleted: Trojan program Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.agp File: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{3C0DFAC5-8283-443E-86C8-6788DD816276}\RP161\A0087130.exe//PE_Patch.PECompact//PecBundle//PECompact

Can anyone tell me what's going on with my keyboard and mouse now? Any idea what I can do to solve the problems? I already deleted and reinstalled my keyboard and mouse software and drivers, but that didn't do anything. The only way to make it stop is to change my keyboard to a normal US keyboard, but then I can't type accents. Not sure what to try next or if Kaspersky caused this!

Thank you for your assistance!

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited May 2007
    Disable sticky keys
  • edited May 2007
    Disable sticky keys

Hi, they already were disabled. System restore doesn't work either. I've tried restoring to several previous dates in the last 2.5 months, but it just won't work. Kaspersky probably deleted an important restore file.