Windows refuses to start - BSOD error

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hi, before I continue further I would like to thank those who spare some time to help me out with my problem - its been affecting me as I'm unable to perform simple things like print out articles. Lol. Here we go:

Hardware/Software:
IBM Thinkpad T43 - Original Windows XP - 1gb RAM

Problem:

1. ran a windows update earlier this morning.
2. restarted the laptop as was told to.
3. windows started with an error message (same one ive been getting the past few times i updated my windows, error.dll?).
4. decided to run a system restore to the point before updates.
5. performed system restore, that's when the problem started.

6. windows would not start, blue screen shows with an error message:
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x85A3D9D2, 0x85A39C44, 0x00000000)

7. tried to perform a system restore again, to the day before (Sunday).
8. problem still persists, only way to get online is through Safe Mode with Networking.

That's exactly what happened, and as I mentioned - using Safe Mode now to access onto the Internet and use my MSN Messenger. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to find anyone who might know the source of my problem let alone fix it. Please help out!

What I've tried so far:
1. performing a system restore.
2. restarting in Last Known Good Configuration.
3. installing GC driver (as provided in IBM's support site).
4. installing UltraNav driver (also provided in IBM's support site).

Once again, a huge thanks to those who help.
<!-- / message -->

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited May 2007
    Could you do me a favor and run memtest on your laptop? Also, could you try uninstalling the updates from ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS?
  • edited May 2007
    Will run a memtest for you later on as I'm currently out - also where can I get the list of updates which was just installed into the system? I'm unable to run Microsoft's Update tool in Safe Mode from the looks of it. Thanks.
  • edited June 2007
    Not sure if this will work for you but http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50966 may be a good place to start...