Strangest boot disk error

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Strangest boot disk error I've ever seen. I originally posted this problem in the Windows section, but now I know that it has nothing to do with Windows.

About a month ago I made some small changes (new heatsink and some wire management) in my case. When I went to boot for the first time after these changes, I got a boot disk error (Internal boot disk error - please enter system disk and press enter). I figured that I would do a fixboot and fixmbr using my windows xp pro cd and it would fix itself. I did that, and it seemed to have worked. I took the cd out, and the next time I booted my computer up, I got the boot disk error again. So I did a fixboot and fixmbr again, and once again it seemed to have worked. To make a long story shorter, eventually I figured out that if I had my winxp disk in, my computer would boot just fine, if I did not, then I would get the error. I asked some of the self-claimed experts I know, and they were as stumped as I was.

I came here and made my post in the Windows section, and some SM members were able to offer some assistance. They said to make boot cds of Seagate (my hd manu) and Hitachi to run some diagnostics. I attempted to boot to either of those cds, and all I would get was a strange dos prompt asking me for the date and time, and then giving me an A:/ prompt. I tried everything to try to get them to work, but they would not.

After a few weeks of just dealing with having my winxp disk in to boot, I decided that it was time to just reformat to see if that would work. Everything went smoothly, but with my first boot..same old error. I put the winxp disk in, and voila..it boots. I figured that maybe my mobo had done something strange, so I tested my hd on another computer that I new ran perfectly. I got the same disk boot error there too. So it has to be my hard drive.

So I was wondering if there was any kind of light somebody could shine on this. I have never had a computer problem like this before..nor do I know anybody who has. I just don't understand why I would have to have the winxp disk in..let it say "press any key to boot" but time out..and then my hd boots fine. I assume something phenomenal happened to my hd somehow..and I'll just have to deal with it, but if anybody has any ideas..let me know. And if anybody read this whole thing..you deserve a hot dog.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Hate to sound condescending, but if you changed any order of the drives, or your bios is retarded, you may need to check your bios to see if your boot order is maintained. Never seen this before...
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited June 2007
    Your wire management is what worries me. Food for thought, if after confirming BIOS settings, check if they are sticking after leaving the PC powered of for a couple of minutes. If not, change out the CMOS battery. As far as everything else is concerned, make sure that the SATA drive is plugged into SATA 0. Also, does the maxtor and at least one of the optical drives share a cable? If so, ensure that their MASTER/SLAVE orientation as far as the cable goes, is correct.

The arc paths in your boot.ini may also be invalid. I would recommend that you either run the repair portion of the windows setup or use the bootcfg /rebuild option when using the recovery console only after first setting the boot order to use OTHER DEVICE and BOOTABLE ADD-IN/ONBOARD SATA controller option in BIOS and deselect any other boot devices.