I've run out of ideas - please help!

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hi,

So here's the problem...

I have a PC that I have been asked to look at on behalf of a charity organisation. When the PC is switched on, all that is displayed is the splash graphic of the ATI Radeon Chipset. Power is clearly getting to the motherboard, and all fans work as expected. Nothing else happens. I am unable to enter the BIOS of the machine.

What I have tried:
  • Replacing the Memory (from another machine).
  • Changing the hard-drive, again from another machine (though it doesn't get as far as reading that anyway)
  • Removing the Sound Card
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Trying to boot from floppy (it doesn't appear to even make an attempt to read from the floppy drive)
I have NOT yet tried the following, due to lack of spare parts (and I don't want to invest in these unless it is likely to be the issue):
  • Replacing the video card (PCI-E is only option)
  • Replacing the CPU
  • Replacing the motherboard
Below is the full spec of the computer. Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I am usually a software guy, and while a know a fair bit about hardware, I have to admit I've met my match here ;-)

Thanks
David

Mobo: ATI RX480M2-IL (MS-7093 ver 1.0)
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939
Memory: 1GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
Video: Radeon X300 SE 128MB PCI-E
Audio: Soudblaster Audigy 2
HDD: 200GB

Comments

• AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited May 2007
    Try taking out (reseating) your cpu and video card and putting them back in. Do one at a time or both if you'd like.

My guess is that your motherboard is having issues and may need replaced. Wait for some other replies, I'm sure somebody else has some ideas.
  • edited May 2007
    Afraid reseating hasn't worked :-(
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    If it won't even get to the BIOS then the BIOS may be corrupt.
    Does the mobo have integrated video. If so then pull the video card also.

On another tack, do you trust the power supply? It might not be holding voltage, though that usually results in nasty things happening.
  • edited May 2007
    Hi,

Unfortunately no onboard video, so would need to buy a PCI-E card to test that part of it, which I don't want to do unless I have more comfort that this is likely to be the issue.

Power supply - same story I suppose. I had thought though that either power would work or not - didn't think about it not holding voltage even though it was still powering up? Would have thought it would eventually cut-out though, no? I could leave the system switched on for hours just displaying that initial splash screen/logo.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2007
    If I looked at the correct board, you could get by with a pci video card. (you might be able to borrow one from a friend) Try to unplug everything you can and take it back to basics. No sound card, a pci vid card, 1 stick of ram, and possibly the hard drive, just to see if you can get into the BIOS.

Is there a system speaker hooked up? Any beep codes?