How to connect from my computer to another computer using TightVNC

edited June 2007 in Science & Tech
I want to know the steps on how to get connected to another computer if you have th IP address and you keep getting connection has failed after you try to connect.

Sniper

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited May 2007
    Is the target computer (the one you're trying to connect to) across the Internet or just across your house...in other words is it behind your router? It's much easier to connect to another computer behind your router.
  • edited May 2007
    its one in my house but I also want to know how to connect to another computer across the internet at any distance.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited May 2007
    It's pretty simple behind your own router. Just have VNC Server running on the host (computer you want to control), then bring up VNC Viewer on the other computer. First thing it will ask you is for the VNC Server. You'll add a layer of trouble if you try to get there by computer name, just plug in the IP address of the host computer, then it will ask for the password, and you're in.

This page tells you way more than I could in a few minutes of typing.

I've never spent much time trying across the Internet unless it was through a VPN that got me an IP address. It can be done, but you open up a pretty good security hole and in my experience, it's more trouble than it's worth.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited May 2007
    MBG....the above ^^^^ advice assumes you have no firewalls between yourself and the host computer. You should be able to deal with the Windows firewall pretty well, but if it's ZA, or worse yet, Norton I Security, you need to do some configuring to make sure both ends can see each other well.

Your best bet is to make sure each computer has a static IP so:
    1. you always know the IP of the host computer
    2. you can configure your firewalls to always allow a specific IP address
  • edited June 2007
    You can just call me Sniper or The Sniper, oh ya and thanks for the help above Ill give ti a try when I have some time to work on this but im super busy with work so, it may be a few days.

Sniper
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Also the best bet is to use SSH tunneling like I do, that way no one could just GUESS it and get in. If you want to learn how to set up an SSH tunnel, google it.
  • edited June 2007
    Thanks, and illl look into it.