Backing Up Important Laptop Data!

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Ok well I had a problem previously with a problem of the laptop not booting and saying it was missing a sys32 config file. http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?p=483980#post483980
And now apparently my only option is data back up. So im wondering what my options are here. Is there any way AT ALL that i could finnegal my way into getting USB access to where i could drag and drop the files i needed then just do a fresh install? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Tyler

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Hey Tyler...

What you need is one of these puppies from Newegg...

SABRENT USB-DSC5 Serial ATA (SATA) or IDE 2.5" and 3.5" to USB 2.0 Cable Converter Adapter - $24.99

Click on the Newegg ad on this page and then enter this (USB-DSC5) code and that will take you to the adapter... BY FAR the easiest way to get data off an old drive via USB. I do IT Support for a living and use this exact one at least once a week. {EDIT - Noticed that there isn't necessarily a Newegg link on every page... http://www.newegg.com }

12-156-017-02.jpg
  • edited May 2007
    but does this entail me opening up my laptop and removing the hard drive?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    ANY method of data recovery is going to involve you removing the hard drive. It's really not very hard.
  • edited May 2007
    alright, ive just never opened the laptop before. hopefully their located in an accessible place and not someone in the underbelly of the laptop to where you have to dig and dig?
    edited May 2007
    What brand of Computer? Some are REALLY easy some can be a royal pain. I've worked on hundreds of laptops, I can try to walk you through, if you want.

The best case scenario, two screws and the drive slides out. :D
  • edited May 2007
    Its a Compaq Presario V3000 notebook.
    edited May 2007
    You have a SATA Hard drive and here's the document on how to get at the hard drive... It's on Compaq's site.

V3000 Manual - PDF
  • edited May 2007
    that manual is kind of confusing, i removed everything but dont understand where it wants me to remove the screws from, their are about 4 different covered areas w/ screws
  • edited May 2007
    ah great nevermind i found where the drive is, only problem is the screws to there are stripped to hell, must be from when i had it worked on a while back. dunno what to do now.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    File13 wrote:
    ah great nevermind i found where the drive is, only problem is the screws to there are stripped to hell, must be from when i had it worked on a while back. dunno what to do now.

you might try sears as they have a pretty nice damaged/stripped screw removal kit for about $10-$20 (I forget). Its pretty much a fancy bit, but they work. I'm not sure how small they make them but I've used one for a normal sized stripped screw (read: smooth) and it got the screw out fairly easily.
  • edited May 2007
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00952154000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

you talking about that?

the only problem would be finding replacement screws for the drive though.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Go to a machine shop and ask for some. If they're spanner folks, they'll take one, walk over to the lathe and make you as many as you need for about 6 dollars.