Mobo Intel Chipset Socket 775 with AGP8X

edited June 2007 in Hardware
I want to buy a good motherboard Intel Chipset Socket 775 with AGP8X? Money is not a problem.

I want to put Intel Pentium D 940 3.20GHz / 4MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Dual-Core / Presler / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor on this motherboard

I saw ASUS P5P800 SE Intel 865PE P4 Socket 775 Motherboard but there are a lot of other Brands

Need Help what is the best?????????????????????

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2007
    Asus is always a good brand to go with.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Why get AGP though? As much as it hurts me to say this, it is dead. It might see legacy parts for maybe another year, then 32X is gonna come out, and then it's literally gonna disappear.

And isn't the 775 bus too wide for AGP?
  • edited June 2007
    Ok the reason why that I own old system with 1 -BFG GeForce 7800 GS / 256MB GDDR3 / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Video Card. 2- Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MH. So I was thinking it will be a good move to upgrade my Mobo and processor and keep the same Video card, memory, hard drive and the rest of the hardware (saving some money)..... what you think????? I was thinking to buy ASUS P5P800 SE Intel 865PE P4 Socket 775 Motherboard and Intel Pentium D 940 3.20GHz / 4MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Dual-Core / Presler / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor. but may be I am missing something!!!?? can you explain why the 775 bus too wide for AGP???????????? Thanks for Reply Charge
    edited June 2007
    I just figured it'd be a little too wide since I've never seen an AGP 775. And I haven't seen DDR1 775's either.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2007
    If your looking to upgrade, I would look into a board that will let you get into a Core 2 Duo. (much more bang for the buck over the 9xx series)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157107
    possible choice? Google for some reviews.

In your situation I'd either sell the parts you have and start from scratch, or look for a board that supports both AGP-PCI-e and DDR and DDR2.
    edited June 2007
    Wow I've never seen one before.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    Got one of the asrock boards awaiting an e6420, 3 Gig is about the max OC on them without a volt mod,and they seem to OC best with PC3200 not DDR2 ??? many folks on Micromart UK use them to upgrade with legacy parts and everyone loves them.

EDIT and they have discontinued manufacture so if yu want one buy fast foxconn have one that takes AGP and PCIE as well
    edited June 2007
    I used to have a Lokar board, PCI-E and AGP, but PCI-E was 16X on mine But it only took DDR1 3200. But then again it was 939, and it was still pretty decent.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    E6420 ordered hope the missus don't notice:D
  • edited June 2007
    That board that Donut linked to is a good choice from what I've read and heard. Presently I am using the Asrock 775i65G mobo with an E4400 on a dedicated crunching rig and it does well at 250 fsb. I used to run it with an E6300 at 288 fsb but the 7 mulitplier just killed any chance of high overclocks with that processor. The board is limited to 300 fsb max and has integrated video, but it also has a dedicated AGP slot and has 2 DDR slots for ram plus 3 PCI slots too. So it's another viable choice to go with an LGA processor with DDR ram and AGP video.