Graphics card problem

boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
edited June 2007 in Hardware
My new motherboard has onboard graphics, but what I want to do is to revert back to what I was using and drop my NVidia 6800 back in for better graphics when I play my games. Problem is, when I install my card in and plug my monitor into it, I get no picture whatsoever. Even when I leave the monitor plugged into the onboard slot I still get no picture. I downloaded the latest driver for the NVidia and tried to install it but got an error "The NVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware." Could anyone tell me whats going on?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2007
    In the BIOS, is your PCI-E slot enabled by chance? Or maybe an option to boot not using the onboard and rather an Add-In card.
  • boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
    edited June 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    In the BIOS, is your PCI-E slot enabled by chance? Or maybe an option to boot not using the onboard and rather an Add-In card.

I'll check on that and see what I can find.
    edited June 2007
    Ok, BIOS showed me that the PCI was the default option so I changed it to AGP and installed the card but I still got the black screen with both the onboard slot, and the slot in the graphics card. I changed the BIOS back to PCI in the meantime.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    what motherboard is it?
    edited June 2007
    csimon wrote:
    what motherboard is it?

MSI K9MM-V (VIA K8M800+8237R Plus Chipset Based)
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited June 2007
    Have you tried checking to see if there was a newer bios for your motherboard? Sometimes new Bios updates fix problems associated with graphics card compatibility.
    edited June 2007
    Jengo wrote:
    Have you tried checking to see if there was a newer bios for your motherboard? Sometimes new Bios updates fix problems associated with graphics card compatibility.

I just finished doing that a bit earlier.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited June 2007
    My new motherboard has onboard graphics, but what I want to do is to revert back to what I was using and drop my NVidia 6800 back in for better graphics when I play my games. Problem is, when I install my card in and plug my monitor into it, I get no picture whatsoever. Even when I leave the monitor plugged into the onboard slot I still get no picture. I downloaded the latest driver for the NVidia and tried to install it but got an error "The NVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware." Could anyone tell me whats going on?
    Ensure that you are downloading the appropriate Nforce driver for you operating system. Some motherboards do not support multi-display features by combining the use of onboard and offboard VGA adapters. This was especially true when it came to many AGP-based motherboards. I could not find any specific information regarding this aspect relevant to your motherboard.

Verify that the 6800 adapter is 1.8v compliant and actually works on another system, as the possibility exists that the card may have encountered problems after the initial removal from your previous system. I have found that setting the vga device rarely causes a problem as the board auto senses, and usually disable onboard once an offboard adapter is found on the bus.

Toggle your setting for AGP interface from 8X to 4X, fastwrites enabled/disabled. Additionally, the board layout has been causing problems with some users, as the ide cable in that area interferes with longer cards , causing some to become unseated.
  • edited June 2007

I am having the same problem you are, same MB and video card. I've also found another person with the same config and issue. Apparently I can't post links here so I'll try to say it's forums dot nvidia dot com /index.php?showtopic=37256 ~ Bob