Sometimes beeping on powerup - press reset and it boots

UziUzi Hamburg, Germany
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I've got a problem with a friends computer.

Well to put it short: Sometimes when powering up this thing starts beeping like crazy (I think it's somethink like 2 - very many very fast - 1 - 2). I can't figure out what happens (the screen stays dark, the lcd says no sync) but when you press the Reset- button once the rig gets up and works perfect. It only happens from time to time but it's really annoying.

The specs:

AMD 1800+XP
Gigabyte GA-7VTX board (PCB 1.0)
256MB RAM
NVidia something MX
Primary Master: WD 40Gig HDD
Sek. Master: NoName DVD-ROM
Sek. Slave: WD 80Gig HDD in a HDD mobile rack
D-Link 530TX NIC

Enermax PSU (465 something)
a Fortron/ Verax 300Watt PSU was build in before - same problem

Any ideas?

Uwe

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    That bleeping signature means that there is no video card. Make sure the card is seated properly (take it out and put it back in). Strange that it works from a warm reset though.

It could also be a weak PSU as there may be too much drain as the comp is turned on and the GFX card cant power up, but as you mentioned you changed the PSU so I doubt its that.

NS
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    So you switched to an enermax :rolleyes: Some people have had good luck, but I've heard a lot of bad luck stories with them. If you've got over a 400w psu for that system, I doubt the psu is the problem, unless you got a borked one. Reseat everything, ram, nic, vid card, make sure your connections are good.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    I had an old P2-233 that did the same thing from the day I bought it. I don't remember what motherboard it was. Was like that until the day I GAVE IT AWAY.

Just had to turn it on, then immediately hit the reset button and all was fine. Hopefully you can find the source of your problem and fix it.
  • edited June 2003
    I would re-seat the Vid Card as NS suggested.

Welcome to Icrontic :D
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    I vote for reseating video card and RAM. Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
  • UziUzi Hamburg, Germany
    edited June 2003
    I'll try what you suggested when I get back to this thing. Will repost then!

Thanks!

Uwe
  • Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited June 2003
    I have seen ram that was bad or incompatible cause a problem like that. If u have 2 sticks take 1 out, if it does the same thing swap out with the other one and try again. Or just try some other ram if possible.
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Cyber13
    I have seen ram that was bad or incompatible cause a problem like that. If u have 2 sticks take 1 out, if it does the same thing swap out with the other one and try again. Or just try some other ram if possible.
    Along those same lines, you should head over to http://www.memtest86.com/ and download a copy of Memtest86 and run it, see if your RAM has any errors.