Not to beat it to death, but how'd the hack happen?

edited July 2003 in Community
Could we get some specifics about the hack itself? I realize the real problem was bad backups, but I'm curious as to how the server was broken in the first place. And before kanezfan points teh finger, no I'm not gonna hax0r icrontic ;)

Comments

• EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    You should contact Mortin cause I don't think anybody else knows the real story... :(
  • edited June 2003
    would be cool if we could know but if not it dont matter.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I wonder if there is any effort going into finding who hacked the site or wether it has just been left and discarded.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Well from what i remember seeing at one of the folding home sites :D

The I.P. address has been taking and the authorites are taking up the case but wether they get caught i dunno (hope they do)

But apparently the site got hacked a little while before that and it was thought not to be a serious attack, but then they found out that the server was being used as a platfrom to attack other servers and their hosting pulled the plug on them.

I might try and find the link later but i remember it being on the main page when the sale was up.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Wonder if we are going to find out the fate of the hacker or whether it is all going to be kept under wraps......

NS
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by ElectusUnum
    Could we get some specifics about the hack itself? I realize the real problem was bad backups, but I'm curious as to how the server was broken in the first place. And before kanezfan points teh finger, no I'm not gonna hax0r icrontic ;)

Even durring the eBay auction I believ you could telnet to www.icrontic.com and get to a login to the Linux server. I understand there were ports that should be blocked that were not or something

Tex
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I'm pretty sure there's not going to be any prosecution involved. From what I heard, the FBI was contacted but this was "too small" for them to deal with.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by primesuspect
    I'm pretty sure there's not going to be any prosecution involved. From what I heard, the FBI was contacted but this was "too small" for them to deal with.

Well, that's great to know... guess you can destroy all you want, so long as the company hosting the website didn't contribute to the presidential campaign. :rolleyes:
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited June 2003
    unfortunately, with hacking servers happening more often, the ones that don't involve major business or affect commerce falls through the cracks.
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NYCDrew
    unfortunately, with hacking servers happening more often, the ones that don't involve major business or affect commerce falls through the cracks.

Isn't that something? A forum server that gets hack isn't a "big thing" to the proper authorities because it isn't a large business so to say, but they're ready to drop the hammer on peer2peer file sharing? I think that's rediculous :rolleyes:

You can hack any server you want and you can get away with it, yet you share a mp3 file with several ppl and they wanna condemn you to the gallows. What a crock.
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited June 2003
    Exactly. And who would you rather run into in the street? Someone who downloads music for his own enjoyment, or someone who would hack a server and trash it for his own enjoyment?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by ElectusUnum
    And before kanezfan points teh finger, no I'm not gonna hax0r icrontic ;)

lmao, i just saw this thread, that's great! I place the blame on you electus!!!!! only you could have been the h4x0r!!