nVidia FX5200 - any good?

MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Anyone using the nVidia FX5200 card? I saw one on sale for $150. 650mhz w/128mb ram. I think it is a PNY. Sounds like a good deal, but I haven't followed hardware much lately.

Just wondering how it ranks among other video cards.

Comments

• Jolyon33Jolyon33 Kalamazoo, MI
    edited June 2003
    Sucks! Its just an mx card thats DX9 compatible. Really weak bandwidth.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    As Jol said, only FX worth buying are 5600 and 5800.

NS
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    Thanks guys! Sure glad I asked before buying it. :)

/me scratches that off his list. ;)
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    It should be the same speed as an MX440 (core 250, mem 200 [400]) but with DirectX 9.0 support, for a budgte card ghet a Ti4200 or a 9500Pro.

Craig
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited June 2003
    ^ yeah, what he said.
    You're better off with a 4200 than an FX5200. My friend and I were looking at the 5200 at easter because it was cheap and then we saw the reviews. The 4200 scored much better.
    edited June 2003
    I visited my neighborhood CompUSA last night and they have 2 versions of the FX5200. One is a plain 5200 and the other is an ULTRA. The ULTRA says 650mhz ram. I'm still not getting it, but just wondering if the ultra is the card all you guys are talking about. The plain FX5200 is $99 and the Ultra is normally $199. Must be some difference, isn't there? :)
  • dNA3DdNA3D Brunei
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by MrBill
    The ULTRA says 650mhz ram. I'm still not getting it, but just wondering if the ultra is the card all you guys are talking about. The plain FX5200 is $99 and the Ultra is normally $199. Must be some difference, isn't there? :)

That's like having Dual Channel 1GB PC3700 DDR SDRAM with a Pentium II 266.
  • edited June 2003
    If i had to buy a budget Geforce FX i would get the FX5600. the FX5200 just sucks
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dNA3D

That's like having Dual Channel 1GB PC3700 DDR SDRAM with a Pentium II 266.
    LMAO! I understand that analogy very well. :)
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    I visited my neighborhood CompUSA last night and they have 2 versions of the FX5200. One is a plain 5200 and the other is an ULTRA. The ULTRA says 650mhz ram. I'm still not getting it, but just wondering if the ultra is the card all you guys are talking about. The plain FX5200 is $99 and the Ultra is normally $199. Must be some difference, isn't there? :)

yeah there are too, but seeing as Mr.BIl lwas talknig about the non ultra thats why i said those particular core and mem speeds

Craig
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    The 5200 wouldn't be worth it. It sucks for what it suppose to do and that is DX9 games. Spring for a Radeon 9500 or 9600. You won't be sorry...
    edited June 2003
    I ordered and received an MSI ti4200 Platinum 128mb 8x AGP. Any comments on that card....good or bad?
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited June 2003
    Id say its a better card than the low end FX's, and MSI make nice gfx cards. Should be fine.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I saw one on sale for $150.
    Where?! Pricewatch lists them as low as $65
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    I ordered and received an MSI ti4200 Platinum 128mb 8x AGP. Any comments on that card....good or bad?

Good card, agree that MSI has always made a decent vid card. The 8X agp isn't anything spectacular though... the reality is, we could still be getting great bandwidth running 2X agp... the gains from 2x-4x was 10%, 4x-8x like 5%. I don't know enough about the spec to explain why, just know the benchmark's I've seen and articles I've read clearly deomonstrated this.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The 4200 isnt really very high end anymore, so its not going to have amazing performance on the latest game, but thats the trade-off for the price really.

NS
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    The 4200 isnt really very high end anymore, so its not going to have amazing performance on the latest game, but thats the trade-off for the price really.

NS
    Ya, I know it's not the best out there, but I don't play games. I just wanted a good card at a good price. :)