Better cooling with air filter??

2»

Comments

• DexterHolland911DexterHolland911 Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    Laidbacklux - Are you having problems with temps or do you overclock? This much fine-tuning isn't necessary.

Geeky1 - Velocity of air is not so important, the cfm of the fan is (assuming all the air is being blown onto the heatsink). But you are right, the 120mm fan is 'wasting air', the heatsink is not large enough to use all of its air of the 120mm fan. Especially when it comes to case-cooling, cfm is what matters.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    80>60mm converters are a nightmare, they blow more air back on themselves than they blow into the heatsink itself and consequently this makes lots more noise, same would be true for 120mm>80mm converters, so regardless of what you do, try and stay away from converters.

NS
    edited June 2003
    My old review/huge heatsink round up is lost, but I did a lot of testing on converters. NS is totally right, stay away from them.
  • LaidbackluxLaidbacklux New Haven
    edited June 2003
    Not overclocking, just trying to have a quiet system. My system:

Athlon XP 1600+
    Asus A7V266
    512 pc2100 generic
    ATI AIW Radeon
    SBLive 5.1 Plat
    WD 80gig Special Edition

I have a Zalman flower heatsink that is actually bigger than a 92mm fan, the 120 covers it. My temps right now: ambient 25
    Case 27 CPU 47

So I would ideally like to lower noise while not raising temps, so i figured a larger fan (papst 120) instead of the 92mm zalman fan over the cpu would do that. Noise is slightly less, temps went up though.
    The hood i placed on the bottom of the case does not narrow the air flow, it just redirects and it seems to workfairly well.

As to the sound level is my pc, the loudest thing in there now is the WD HD which i am thinkng of sandwiching (via silentpcreview). I read 7volts negative review but it seemed that he did it quite differently and its not that costly compared to a smartdrive silencer( WD is too hot for silentdrive).

I think the velocity vs cfm is a good point when dealing with 2 fans near each other competing for the same air. Cause regardless of whether the 120 is wasting a little air, temps should not go up when using a fan with larger cfm, velocity makes intuitive senes to me but that may not mean much in the long run.
    edited June 2003
    *sigh* Gotta love intuition... but that has nothing to do with the real world. The other part of it could be that the Zalman flower heatsink is a skivved heatsink... sort of. Therefore it needs a high-pressure, high-speed airflow through it to be effective. Laidbacklux, I was a supermod with 1500+ posts at the old icrontic probably long before you ever came here. Now I know I have 22 posts at the new icrontic, and even in the last 6 months at the old icrontic I didn't really contribute, I had other things to focus on. But I have been around computers for a long time, I'm not just pulling stuff out of my ass (which I have seen a little too much lately...)

My advice, you want to get rid of noise? Get watercooling :)

*edit* When I said wasting air, what I meant was that the area of the 120mm fan is larger than that of the heatsink. Therefore the 120mm fan will be blowing air not only on the heatsink, but on the surrounding motherboard where there is no heatsink. This air is being 'wasted'. A smaller fan will be blowing only on the heatsink, its air is not being 'wasted'.
  • LaidbackluxLaidbacklux New Haven
    edited June 2003
    DexterHolland911
    Not only do i appreciate your comments but i take them into serious consideration, as I do with most intelligent comments posted regardless of number of posts. I am not quite to the point of watercooling, maybe eventually. For now I tweak with the wind, and as you point out, it may not really be worth it. If not, then perhaps others who are thinking about replacing their 92 with a 120 for their cpu will learn from this less than successful effort.