News: THG Prometia Mach2 (Sub-Zero Phase Change CPU Cooler) Review

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited June 2003 in Hardware
News: THG Prometia Mach2 (Sub-Zero Phase Change CPU Cooler) Review

Conclusion excerpt:

Based on our experience with a 3 GHz P4 and an Intel 875P board, we can say that temperatures of -52°C are possible at low CPU load. Under full load, and taking into account a maximum CPU power dissipation of 135 W, a CPU die temperature of -37° is possible. This is a record value, never before achieved by a compressor system. According to Chip-Con, the Prometeia Mach 2 can cope with power dissipation of up to 200 W.

Comments

• dNA3DdNA3D Brunei
    edited June 2003
    Literally, very very *cool* hardware those guys THG have on their hands right now. Wonder if they have frost on their windows??
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Omega65
    According to Chip-Con, the Prometeia Mach 2 can cope with power dissipation of up to 200 W.
    Sound's fun.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    $1000 pre-order at www.Iceepc.com (Ouch)!
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    man, pricey. the question now, is it worth it . . .
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Omega65
    $1000 pre-order at www.Iceepc.com (Ouch)!
    seem's a little out of my price range.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I think its a little out of anyones other than Icee's, Maccies or Oppainters though Opp would probably just get given it for free anyway.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    i might get a vapochill but i dont know.
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    I wish I had deep enough pockets for that unit. My Exos will have to satisfy me for a couple years though. Sigh....

Enisada
  • ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
    edited June 2003
    I am more intrested on how the unit works and what it's made out of, then a 1000$ price tag..... think about it. ;)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, build your own damn thing, wouldnt/couldnt cost anything like $1000.

NS
    edited June 2003
    The Prometia v1 is down to around $500 now.
  • dNA3DdNA3D Brunei
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    Yeah, build your own damn thing, wouldnt/couldnt cost anything like $1000.

AndresNus, a former Icrontic member built his own Phase Change cooler, mostly from scrap parts and it cost him something like $200 I believe. Does -50 degrees Celcius on Full Load. Its massive though.
  • edited June 2003
    I think that Chip-Con has set the price point up too high for this Mach 2; you know their costs didn't double for their parts. I imagine the biggest change is that they are using a little bigger compressor in it over what they used in the original prommie.
    edited June 2003
    True, but you still have to factor in Developement costs.

As they sell more units, the price will drop. The Prommie One is still a hell of a unit and it's 1/2 the price ($500 down from $750+).