Cheap and Passive system

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Hardware
My current server (k6-2 350) just cant cut it for all the jobs it needs to do, plus the FAN and mobo are going....

So, what I need to know, is what is a decent spec machine I can build that can be passively cooled? i.e. a 600-800mhz machine, Celeron? PIII? Any ideas appreciated. But remember, some parts you may think are easy to find over in the US are alot harder and more expensive to aquire over here.

Cheers,
NS

Comments

• AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    What about a mini-itx based systems? They work fairly well for lower end webservers etc. What all does the server need to do?
  • edited June 2003
    iv got an amd k6-2 550 and an amd k6-2 475 if you want one.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    K6-2 550 isnt much of an upgrade from a K6-2 400, infact its virtually non existstant.

What I am looking for is something that is going to do the following -

WebServer (with PHP)
    FTP Server
    MySQL Server
    File Server
    Backup Server
    Diagnostic Machine
    Shoutcast Server
    Mail Server

The 400 just cant cut it, it starts to slow down alot when just carrying out a single operation.

What I want to do is stick with a mATX system as I already have the case, and to stick with SDR as I already have 410MB of it, that is unless some other cheap alternative presents itself.

NS
    edited June 2003
    How many simultation connections for the shoutcast/webserver are we looking at?
    edited June 2003
    Shoutcast was 2-6, Webserver maybe up to 10.

But the hardware is ancient and the USB doesnt even work in 2000 and no drivers are available (stuck using default).

NS
  • edited June 2003
    then get something like a duron 1.3 and the Shuttle AK32. the mobo + the cpu is well under 100 dollars.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Duron 1.3s can run hot, he would need good airflow to keep it cool and a very large heatsink.

NightShade737, you could use a slow 120mm fan to blow some air over the heatsink. They come in various speeds and the lower end ones move a lot of air without being particulary noisy.

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    i ran my duron for 2 year's on just a POS heatsink and it was overclocked 1.3@1.44ghz. my temps never went over 130F.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    No airflow? Case side off?
    edited June 2003
    Sounds interesting, but remember, quiet is as bad as noisy as it is still sound.

NS
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Why not spring for a 1700?
    CPU-$46
    Mobo-$65
    Memory (CORSAIR 512MB PC2100)-$60

Total price of $161. It's gonna be a big step up from the k6-2 400, but i dont know if its in your price range. It would certainly last much longer than a duron 1.3. It'd be running on a faster cpu and faster memory, not to mention more. I dont know I'm probably way off here, but what's the budget you want to work with here? $100 for mobo + Cpu? $50 for just the cpu?
  • edited June 2003
    the 1700 is nice but when it comes down to price the 1700 is 50 dollars the duron is 30 dollars so it all comes down to how much do you want to spend ?
    edited June 2003
    lol we seem to be missing the initial request ;).

He's looking for silent. He wants to see if he can go totally passive cooling. No fans what so ever.
  • edited June 2003
    go for the 1700 the 256kb of L2 is nice but make shure you get the B core.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    No fans at all ay? /me scratches chin
    edited June 2003
    OffTopic:
    uh oh...a /me bug.

OnTopic:
    Exactly ;). The only thing with decent speed I could think of was the mini-itx @ around 833 mhz (I believe).
    edited June 2003
    <<<<<<<< SSIIIIILLLLEEEENNNTTTTT >>>>>>>>

>.<

Im looking to spend £100 total, notice that is POUNDS not DOLLARS. Which means its more, but remember everything costs alot more over here too.

Would it be possible to passive cool a TB 1700+? And why would I want a B, if im going passive i'm not going to be overclocking it.........

NS
    edited June 2003
    Didnt want to go ITX, as I am not space limited and I may add lots of drives later, I just need relitively fast and very very VERY quiet.

NS
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    I'm guessing B's can withstand heat better.
    edited June 2003
    How about this board: http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_mini_itx_spec.jsp?motherboardId=141

I takes pc133 ram. Board is (that dumb little L thing)65 at http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2#p2 (the third board, 800mhz fanless).

//edit
    At a later time you could just pickup a pci raid card cheap and you'd be able to hook up all the drives you want.
    edited June 2003
    Oh, yeah, and I think they actually run at a step lower (1.65 as opposed to 1.7) or something like that.

NS
    edited June 2003
    I'm honestly don't see how you can passively cool a athlon xp though :/.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    NightShade737, we have 20 of those VIA ITX machine in operation as small web and file servers. They do work fairly well, and would be a improvement over your 400 machine. The only consideration is shoutcase, but at only a couple users it should handle it.

We use the 800 proc, single 512 unbuffered DDR ram, and a current EIDE HDD and they work surprizing well. They do make a 1 gig machine now i believe.

The entire lot draws about 5 amps and has very very very little noise. The PSU units for those machines are external and fanless. Swap the CPU HSF out for a larger chunk of metal and you would have something that only generates drive noise. But as it sits, they are super quiet.

Otherwise, I would go with a standard p4, celeron, or for amd we use a HSF based off a slightly larger chunk of aluminum, 80mm adapter, and slient style case fan. These would be fairly quiet given you use a large case with no case fans.

AFAIK, these are your only options.
    edited June 2003
    Ok, if we drop passive (because this server currently isnt passive, when its quiet its ok, but the fan is going as well now >.<), how quiet do you think we can go?

NS
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    2 cents,

I can passivly cool a dual xeon, but the case fan noise required would drive you insane ;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Ok, so if you drop the passive idea, and go with say a 1700+ you can go quite, get a Panaflo for the hs/f which is a low 28dba, the same could go with your case fans, if any, maybe one exhaust in the rear. What type of case are you looking at?
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    <<<<<<<< SSIIIIILLLLEEEENNNTTTTT >>>>>>>>
    Would it be possible to passive cool a TB 1700+? And why would I want a B, if im going passive i'm not going to be overclocking it.........
    yes you could passive cool a 1700 B. you want a 1700 B core because they run cooler because of less voltage and you and overclock then to like 2.2ghz easy.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    The retail intel fans are quiet. Also, you can find compairable HSF's for AMD.

Use a PSU without alot of fans, and a fairly large case and you can skips fans in it aswell.

I've been building 2.0 cele's for one of my clients here, and they are reasonably quiet with retail HSF, single PSU fan, and no case fans.

You don't get much quieter without running a risk of overheat under load. The only way I can think of might be a temperature sensor controller, on a quiet fan, bringing the noise down some under idle conditions
    edited June 2003
    The case is one of those old "Time Computer" ones.

The PSU isnt passive btw so thats sucking air out.

I dont want to go ITX because this machine isnt just going to sit on a shelf, it may end up with lots of drives (HD, CD and maybe even a SCSI array for Fun) so ITX is out of the question.

The case is attached but it only has 2 - 5 1/2" bays, not 3.
    No exhaust fan slot, but one intake.

NS