Why DVD-R Still Reigns

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Internet & Media
Here is a roundup from Tom's Hardware depicting the compatability of 11 different DVD burners with some popular set-top DVD players. Seeing as DVD burners yet remain as serving the primary function of burning video discs, this compatability test is extremely important.

As you can see, squared off in red are the DVD-R tests, noting only one failure between all the drives and DVD players. However switching to the DVD+R platform we see that the +R standard fails a whopping 33 times in the tests.

DVD+R may be getting faster, but what good is it when it's often prone to failure?

Also curious to note that in the end, the Pioneer DVR-A06 and the LG GSA-4040B were the top choices. This bodes well with my consistent recommendations to purchase Pioneer's exceptional drives. Also a surprise to see LG make the top of the list, and the external (And physically identical) brother of the Sony DRU-510 get completely excluded from any laurels whatsoever.

Go Pioneer, go -R.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Thanks Rob :D MUCH appreciated.

One Pioneer DVR 106 just ordered. Same as A06 but "bulk" as you stated.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Not a problem Marcus :thumbsup:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    What is the deal with DVD+/-R? I have no clue about the difference?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I love my pioneer -R!!!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    nice find bro... im gonna be in a market soon enuf when xmas comes along :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    The differences between -R and +R are at the physical level. The way the laser actually makes the chemicals inside the disc react to form data pits.

Stamped CDs and DVDs have physical stamps on the foil. Millions of microscopic divots which serve as data when the laser passes over it.

When you burn a disc, you're mimicking the same thing. The way -R discs are burned more closely mirrors the way retail DVDs are stamped.
  • edited November 2003
    Meh

I purchased a DVD+ drive back in January, it was a nice price at the time, looks like I am in another Betamax vs VHS situation :(