Asus replacement board

LadypcerLadypcer usa
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I had an Asus A7N8X dxl version 1.xx mobo(bios upgraded to 1004) that I was running a 2100 Tbred on (OC'ed to 2255).
I replaced the tbred with a Barton 2500, reset the bios, and powered up and the board died. Couldn't get a beep out of it, and I tried everything I could think of.

RMA'ed it, and just received a brand new revision 2 replacement board.

So, should I put the 2100 back in it, or go with a 1700 tbred I have?

I'm a little afraid to try the Barton in it.

Opinions?

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    If you don't wan't to stick the barton in it, then I would go with the 2100, it is up to you really. But if you wan't to oc the heck out of the 1700+ then go with the 1700+. If I were you then I'd stick the 2100 back in it. Don't the A7N8X support up to a barton 3000+?
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    The ASUS board supports all the way up to the newest 3200+. Do you figure the barton is defective too? Cause then I be getting me a new one...
  • LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    No, I'm running the Barton right now on an Abit.

The Asus is supposed to run up to a 2800 tbred out of the box, and higher with a bios upgrade, afaik.

Not sure about the Barton core.

I think I'll put the 1700 in it for now, since it's on the board (MSI) I'll be removing to make room for the Asus.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    The only difference between a Tbred and a Barton is the extra 256K. Everything else is the same.

If a mobo supports a Tbred it'll run a Barton too.

Probably something else (maybe - stray Artic Silver/static electricity/ case short) blew your motherboard.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    The core is also bigger on the Barton.

Craig
  • LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    Updated bios was supposed to have supported the Barton. Not sure what happened. Although I did notice that board was warped. I tried it in 2 other towers, with 2 other cpu's and different ram sticks in different slots, different PS's, and it never would boot back up.

I did notice when I put the Barton in the Abit, it went to 166 fbs from 133, without any bios adjustments from me.

I need to do some reading up on the Revision 2 board.

I have to say that Newegg did me a straight up deal on it though. They replaced the mobo with a brand new revision 2.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Never had a warped board myself. Are you sure you had all of your standoffs installed in the case and the mobo didn't get shorted out.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    When you say it wouldnt boot. Was it dead. Nothing? Or would the fans come on and no video?

Tex
  • LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    The board ran fine for 3 months, until I changed the cpu. I had all standoffs and spacers in the same place as they were before I changed the chip. Fans ran, AGP green light was lit up, same vid card I had in it all along, but it wouldn't go any further. No boot, not even into bios.

I've been reading that some others have been having similiar problems with the board.

I did have it OC'ed before I switched the cpu, but I reset it (reset CMOS jumper, removed and replaced the battery) so I don't think that had anything to do with it??

I'm going to be installing the new board this afternoon or tomorrow.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Cool! And again.. Nice to see ya hanging around!

Tex