best mobo for athlon 2400 for around $100

edited June 2003 in Hardware
im not sure what to get here, I'm not goign to be doing any overclocking so that doesnt matter to me, I want to use pc3200 most likely 2 512mb sticks, but which mother board to use baffles me

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I know its over your budget but for about $24 more dollars you could get a NF7-S 2.0 from excaliberpc, and you will have one of the best motherboards out now if you decide to oc in the future.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    i have only heard good things about that board. plus i happen to be a bit of an abit fanboy . . .
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    The Best Athlon mobo period is the Abit NF7-s v2.0 ~$125 (www.excaliberpc.com)

the best mobo for under $100 is the Epox 8RDA+ $85 shipped @ Newegg.

If you need a raid controller grab the Epox 8K9A2+ (HPT372 & Sata Raid) or Abit KD7-Raid (HPT372) both are KT400 and ~$100
  • edited June 2003
    for under 100 dollars go with the epox 8rda+. for a little over 100 dollars go with the abit nf7-s.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    NF7-S is the way to go. Has SATA RAID, Firewire,USB 2.0, on board LAN, and board is stable and fastest AMD chipset available. Especially when you run the 400Mhz FSB.

Kinda partial - See Sig :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I also have the Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 and love it! With the new bios it is a very solid performer and all the issues that users had are now fixed. I think it is well worth the extra but if you don't want it then go with the plain vanilla NF7 version for under $100. Excaliber currently has the NF7-S for $118 and NF7 for $97. $21 buys you quite a bit extra to grow on. ;)

Edit:

If you're not an overclocker this board will quite possibly make you one with how easy it makes it. Heck, I'm an old dude and it got my O/C juices flowing real good. :D
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    NF7-S or 8RDA3+

Craig
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The Epox 8k9a2+ apparently can support SATA RAID but cant actually do it, no SATA RAID drivers or something, I cant remember the reason behind it though, maybe you can shed more light on this Omega.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    I dont plan on doing raid right now, but it seems that the extra $20 for the abit seems to be pretty much unanamous for the motherboard to buy, I havn't heard the best of stuff about the epox from people so far.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    The Epox 8k9a2+ apparently can support SATA RAID but cant actually do it, no SATA RAID drivers or something, I cant remember the reason behind it though, maybe you can shed more light on this Omega.

NS

The was a Silicon Image driver problem which affected all of the mobo manufacturers. Supposedly it's fixed now (new drivers).
  • edited June 2003
    i was going to go with the abit nf7-s bit i hear alot about how those randomly die for no reason in the abit forums at www.amdforums.com. But it seems like all boards have a bunch of problems even the asus boards and i also hear the epox 8RDA3+ has problems. Maybe some ppl are just biased or over exagerrate when they say " i rmaed 37 of these and all the replacements didnt work either".

Im hoping thats just it cuz im having a really tuff time deciding wut board i want. Can the epox 8rda+ oc just as well as the 8RDA3+ can? I just want a 200mhz fsb.

I have more than enuff money to a get a board and a cpu, i just dont know which board to get =(
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Pooface
    i was going to go with the abit nf7-s bit i hear alot about how those randomly die for no reason in the abit forums at www.amdforums.com. But it seems like all boards have a bunch of problems even the asus boards and i also hear the epox 8RDA3+ has problems. Maybe some ppl are just biased or over exagerrate when they say " i rmaed 37 of these and all the replacements didnt work either".

Im hoping thats just it cuz im having a really tuff time deciding wut board i want. Can the epox 8rda+ oc just as well as the 8RDA3+ can? I just want a 200mhz fsb.

I have more than enuff money to a get a board and a cpu, i just dont know which board to get =(
    Pooface

Most problems ppl had with NF2 boards were prior to the rev 2 that is predominant now. Most folks that have rev 2 NF7xxx boards with the new bios are doing very well right now. As a matter of fact this thing makes 200fsb so easy that I would recomend it to just about anyone wishing to do so!!! Where's Mikey? even he liked it!;)
  • edited June 2003
    For under $100, you can't go wrong with the 8RDA+. The new C1 stepping 8RDA+s do 200MHz outta the box. A friend of mine got one and with stock everything (BIOS, VDD, northbridge hsf), it was able to do 220MHz (not stable, but still).