Epox 8RDA+ VCore problem

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited June 2003 in Hardware
No matter what I set my VCore to, CPU-Z reports it to be 1.58x.

Both versions 1.18 and 1.17 report the same readings.

I'm running the 4/22 BIOS.

Any ideas? I believe CPU-Z more than I believe the motherboard because the CPU is not stable when overclocked past 1.6GHz. I've tried VCore ranging from default 1.6 to 1.8 and Prime95 always craps out.

Comments

• CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    I didnt think you could raise the vcore on the 8RDA+ without doing a volt mod first?

Craig
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    That sounds a bit stupid, why would they add VCore settings to the BIOS but you need to MOD the board first. Can you still lower the VCore or is it just locked entirely?

NS
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    All Epox NF2 and KT400 motherboards have BIOS control of vcore from 1.3 - 2.1 volts

CPU-Z is giving you the wrong reading.

What does the motherboard BIOS or MBM v5.3 say
  • edited June 2003
    use the tool that came with your epox 8RDA+ a see if that read's the vcore at what its set in the bios.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    indeed, that CPUz is giving a false reading, it does the samething for me, i just use WCPUID from now on, even tho it gives less info, at least most of them are correct.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    I downloaded MBM (found it after I posted this) and it gives me 1.58 for Core0, which I guess it was CPU-Z reads. Core1 registers whatever I tell the BIOS to use (w/in .01v).

I guess this chip is a really sucky overclocker.

I hope it's not the board . . . as I had 3 Epox mobos go south on me before w/in 1 week so I was really reluctant to purchase this board, but when my IWill got fried (PSU melted) I needed a new mobo and $85 was a lot better price than $120 for an NF7-S v2.0 or $130 for an A7N8X Deluxe.
    Originally posted by Omega65
    All Epox NF2 and KT400 motherboards have BIOS control of vcore from 1.3 - 2.1 volts

CPU-Z is giving you the wrong reading.

What does the motherboard BIOS or MBM v5.3 say
    edited June 2003
    Didn't realize WCPUID told what the VCore is.
    Originally posted by leishi85
    indeed, that CPUz is giving a false reading, it does the samething for me, i just use WCPUID from now on, even tho it gives less info, at least most of them are correct.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Are you running a Palomino?

Also update to the latest 8RDA+BIOS.

I've never had a problem changing the Vocre on any EPOX I've ever owned (8).

What does the MB Bios say the VCore is?
  • edited June 2003

Also update to the latest

the last 8rda bios sucks for overclocking. the only thing it did is fix the problem with the mouse in windows 98 and fix the ATI problem. there's a thing that comes with the 8RDA+ tells you the voltage and the temps. its on the CD that came with the mobo
    edited June 2003
    No, it's a TBred-B, 0310XPMW, only problem is it's a DUT3C, so it's 1.6v not 1.5

The chip isn't stable over about 1.6GHz, even though I've had it as high as 2GHz.

That's 400MHz of instability, which to me seems a bit high to be able to go from 1.6 stable to 2GHz but not be stable anywhere after 1.6. Makes me think the chip could handle higher than 1.6 stable but the board is holding it back. (Does this w/ different FSB speeds, different RAM timings, etc.)

I have Corsair XMS PC3200C2

2 x 512 = 1GB, dual channel.

I'm running the BIOS from June 6th.

Also update to the latest 8RDA+BIOS.

• edited June 2003
    Same thing happens here. I am not 100% sure of this but I think on the Epox nForce2 boards cpuz is showing the VDD voltage as the VCORE voltage. Check the bios and see what it's reporting for voltage.
  • edited June 2003
    The 8RDA+ uses the sensor other boards use as vcore for VDD. In MBM, core0 is VDD and core1 is Vcore.
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited June 2003
    Yeah you just have to make sure you have the right sensor set for the right application. Thats all the problem is im sure, just having the application set to read the correct sensor for Vcore. The actual CPU itself shouldnt have anything to do with it.
  • d-rkerd-rker UK
    edited June 2003
    just use USDM utility ,readings are bit more correct .