New CPU and it won't boot

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I have an A Open motherboard. It had a 433 MHz processor so I purchased a Pentium III 1000EB 1 GHZ CPU which is listed as compatible in the motherboard manual.

Unfortunately, now the computer will not boot. It will boot if I put the old CPU back in.

Anybody have any suggestions / help?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    I suggest you return it from whence it came and get it replaced. If the second one doesnt work either a faulty batch of CPUs whcih is fairly rare i must say or you may need to flash the BIOS of the board.

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    Should I flash the bios first?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    You should be able to check their site to be sure it supports that cpu with your current bios.

Next did ya clear the cmos correctly? Many bios's won't automaticaly detect a new cpu and you have to clear the cmos first.

Tex
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    I wouldnt because this can be very risky, as long as you know what your doing and can follow instructiuons exactly you should be ok but id try another first myself.

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    Check the mobo manual for jumper setting etc. You might have to set something up there. Give the mobo model and we might be able to look something up for ya.
  • edited June 2003
    I don't know the particulars with his setup, But if the bios doesn't support the processor he is wanting to use then another processor won't do any good. He will need to flash the bios.

How risky is flashing the bios? Well I have done it about 200 times to date on different boards and never had a problem yet. That doesn't mean you won't develop a problem though.
  • edited June 2003
    The model is MX3S, if that helps anyone. Thanks for your responses, btw.
    edited June 2003
    But we won't know that excat board. Can you check A=Opens site and look for bios updates? There is usually a deal that explains what fixs were in each one? Or the manual should do that if you have the original manual or...

If you link the manual here for us I will go thru it but I don't want to go find the manual. Is that fair?

Cheers

tex
  • edited June 2003
    Can you look at the string at the bottom of the post screen and tell us what the last numbers or letters are? I see they have alot of bios flashes for this board and I need to know which one you have.
  • edited June 2003
    Ahhh, The site is lame right now. I'll try later.
    edited June 2003
    I can get the manuals from taiwan but not US CC.

tex
  • edited June 2003
    Unfortunately, now the computer will not boot with the old or new chip.

I suspect? that when I installed the new bios I goofed somewhere along the way.

Should I shoot the computer and put myself out of my misery or take it to the shop?

Thanks for all the help!
  • edited June 2003
    So you did flash the bios then?

What if anything is it doing?

No beeps?

No Video?

Nothing?

Where do you live? Just name the State or Country. The reason I asked that question is that I have a EEPROM programmer and if you cover the shipping both ways I will flash the chip back to health for FREE.
  • edited June 2003
    Yes I flashed the Bios

No beeps

No video

no floppy

No nothing
  • edited June 2003
    I edited my post post at the bottom, Please take a look.

Sounds as though it killed the bios. Did you get any error messages when you were doing it?
  • edited June 2003
    Florida

No error messages
  • edited June 2003
    Well it would probably cost a couple of bucks to send it to me as I am in California. I wouldn't say more than $10.00 round trip. If you are interested just send me a PM and we will go from there.
    edited June 2003
    Just for kicks.... Unplug the power from the PSU and pull the battery out for at least ten minutes. And hook it up and try one more time before mailing it.

And crap tmod I sure wish I had known you had a eprom burner a month ago. shyt! I fubard a kt7 by flashing a kt7a bios on a box that belonged to a buddy. I bought another bios chip for it.

Tex
  • edited June 2003
    No luck with the battery idea.

I don't get the no video message and it looks like the HD is turning but even with a boot disk nothing else happens.

Thanks for the help!
    edited June 2003
    Tmod can fix ya up then. Did the flash seem ok? Did you get all the display and messages and stuff? It said completed and everything?

Tex
  • edited June 2003
    The flash never finished, just seemed to hang up in the middle. The floppy that had the file just ran and ran for about 15 minutes and then I pushed the restart button.

I think I am the poster boy for ineptitude.
  • edited June 2003
    Yep the bios will be toast then, I sent you a e-mail pertaining to this problem.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Some BIOS can recover from this by putting the BIOS file on a disk then holding down something like CTRL + HOME when you turn the computer on. It will then re-flash the BIOS then bleep loudly when its finished and restart itself. I think this was a feature of AmiBIOS boards.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Tmod
    Yep the bios will be toast then, I sent you a e-mail pertaining to this problem.
    Would it be possible to use the boot block recovery?? Come to think of it, I have never seen that work.
  • edited June 2003
    It does work at times, But not very often. The problem here is that it was shut off in the middle of the flashing, I realize there was no way to recover the now stuck flash and get it going again and that would be why runnerman turned it off. You are stuck at that point as there is nothing you can do.

Chances are that I have that chip on hand and I should be able to get him going in no time. At least I hope I can. ;)