Spammer Poll

edited June 2003 in Community
I got an idea! :D

Some guys just don't get it. Post count means everything to them. You got the Off Topic area to post nonsense but that don't count right. So they post irrelavent stuff in the Technical Areas. It's called spam. Spam tends to piss people off.

We got some ideas in the back, but everyone is bustin their butts to get everything working properly to make this the best forum on the web. Not much time for new code right now.

Spam is also subjective. What I think is spam may not be spam to the next guy. These forums are being built for you, the members. we'll let you decide what and who is doing the spamming.

So here is the plan. We will have the Spam King Award. Every month will put up a poll with the top three - five spammers. The winner loses all of their posts and gets the Spam King title for the month.

PM me with the nominations (do not post them here) and I will pick the top popular entries for the poll.

What ya all think. Good idea??

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    LMAO !

-Edited- Tex being the Devil on the left shoulder -Edited-

Tex
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
  • SlackerSlacker CA, USA
    edited June 2003
    -Edited-
    I like it. :up: :up:
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited June 2003
    -Edit- LIN being the good Angel on the right shoulder - Edit

LIN
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    haha, omg this is going to be soo funny. Can't wait to see the nominations of people.

As far as spam though, I gues it's like file sharing, there is no way to stop it, and yes what one considers spam might not be to the other. But if there is a thread about a specific topic or something then if all replies are relevant and educated I guess you could say then that isn't. You are going to have some threads that get out of hand and start into a chat room, but not very often.

Myself, if I don't have anything else to add or don't have a solution I try to not even post anything unless I need an answer about something mentioned, but we all get to the point sometimes where its 3:00 a.m. and were reading through the forums and make a stupid reply completely off topic or something.

well that's enough of my rambing...just my .02 cents.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited June 2003
    -Edit- Good angel thing again -Edit-
    BTW LIN you get a post count as this is not O/T. :)

Was an alert issued? ;)

LIN
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    -Edited- is by far the worst spammer here.

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by CCW
    -Edited- is by far the worst spammer here.

Craig
    It'll be more fun if we don't be posting names. Just PM your nomination if you have one.
  • edited June 2003
    Here's the deal. Seems some felt that naming the Award after a member and the comments that followed were not in the best interest of the Forum. As much fun as I had participating, I had to aggree. I took an axe, slashed and edited the thread.

What I need now is a 75x75 avatar of a can of Spam.
  • LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    Here ya go CC.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Going to love using this in Threads........

SusansTurkey.gif

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Ladypcer
    Here ya go CC.
    Peeeerfect! I luv ya Lady P
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    so what are some of the basic criteria that most people deem as "spam" . . .
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    Going to love using this in Threads........

SusansTurkey.gif

NS
    You spam the threads with this and your name might rise to the top. :D
    edited June 2003
    Writing only very short sentences and posting that. Best thing to do is try and cram as much as you can into the post, all the details etc, saves time for the readers too.

Another annoying Spam tactic is replying to yourself like 3 times, one after another, or just few word responces to people after those.

Short responces are ok in no-post count areas but chain posting still isnt, just edit your original post, going through 3 or 4 posts by the same person is just plain annoying.

[Edit for CC: I didnt say I was going to spam threads with that, I said that it should be posts in Spam threads, i.e. Post that then close the thread]

NS
  • LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Cool Canuck

Peeeerfect! I luv ya Lady P

You're welcome, Green Duckie. ;)
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Ladypcer

You're welcome, Green Duckie. ;)

Speaking of Duckie, you wouldn't happen to have of Donald Duck with a Big Sledge Hammer would ya?? I kinda think that would be a fitting avy for me on this Forum.

/me Ducks be for LadyP takes swipe with hammer.
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by drowd
    so what are some of the basic criteria that most people deem as "spam" . . .

One word answers, posts which have little to do with the threads, that sort of thing :)
    Originally posted by Cool Canuck

Speaking of Duckie, you wouldn't happen to have of Donald Duck with a Big Sledge Hammer would ya?? I kinda think that would be a fitting avy for me on this Forum.

* Cool Canuck Ducks be for LadyP takes swipe with hammer.

Exactly where is the Duck CC?

Bring him back :)
  • LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    LP will sneak attack CC when he's not looking. :D
  • edited June 2003
    LadyP I'd give ya "K" but no button.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited June 2003
    Here's one spam idea:

This Post has been editited by me 'cause the ideaa could inspire a spammer. Be warned the moderators are now hip to this method and so am I....

(If you never read it, then forget it)

edited June 2003
    Um.......... we dont want to give people ideas, this forum was for complaining about Spammers, not to help promote spamming!

NS
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited June 2003
    LOL you hear the one about the ex car theif who works for the police now? Sorry about that. I meant it to point it out not to suggest. Please delete it if you want. No problem!!
  • edited June 2003
    Not worried about it. We have the technology to take of shyte like that.