WinXP halts at welcome screen. (Laptop)

ButtersButters CA Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Hardware
I'm trying to fix a laptop that will not load past the welcome screen. The last item on the boot log is,

I've tried to boot into safe mode, boot logging, and last good config.
I've tried the recovery console to disable the last service it tried to load
I've tried check disk and everything is fine.

I then took the laptop HD and installed it on my comp (I have an adapter) and defragged it, and did check disk again.

I'm reserving the more extreme measures, but I can't think of anything else. Any ideas?

I just copied all the files on my drive

The only thing left to do is doing a repair install, but I don't have XP HOME, I just have and XP Pro CD. I don't know how well that would go.

And I don't have the recovery CD exclusively for this laptop.

I actually have an HP Laptop with an AMD XP processor, this one I'm trying to fix has is the same series HP, but with a Celeron in it. Would my recovery CD's work on the celeron based laptop?

the last items on the boot log were
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (ATW)
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
Did not load driver AFD.SYS

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I've had similar problems in the lab ...what I usually do is insert the cd and begin an install ...at some point the install program says that I already have winxp installed would i like to repair it and it repairs the initial installation. I think you'll have to at least have the same version of xp (home) but I'm not sure.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited November 2003
    What are the chances that the ethernet plug is not built into the motherboard on that laptop? It is stalling on loading some networking protocols. If laptop has as removable PCMCIA NIC, then try popping it out and seeing if not having the NIC bypasses all that.

Also, a little googling shows that AFD.SYS was updated in XP SP1 due to some memory leaking errors. I also saw some hits for problems encountered with that file when upgrading some systems from 2000 to XP. Was this an original XP install or an upgrade? This won't help you till you get it booted, but if you can, do a MS KB search on AFD.SYS and check for patches.

Good luck.

Dexter...
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I have access to the laptop harddrive since I have a laptop to IDE adapter. It looks like the laptop was updated to SP1 and had a few hotfixes from there after. It has an onboard NIC.

Hmm.. I'm gonna try to run a virus scan on it, that was one thing I didn't do, and its worth a try.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I fixed it.

I replaced the c:\windows\system32\config\system ,security, sam, and software files with the ones in the windows\repair folder.

I got it to boot, but it wiped the registry clean though. All the files and programs are still on disk, but some won't work since there are no registry entries. It still beats using the recovery CDs and installing everything fresh.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2003
    Glad you got it worked out!

:thumbsup:
  • edited September 2007
    Hi, I am having the same problem with loading afd.sys when I upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP. Is there any way to fix the problem?