Windows Memory Tester?

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited November 2003 in Science & Tech
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Found this nifty little utility on Microsoft's website this morning, although I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Anyone else use this program and could comment on it's ability to detect memory errors?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    TechTV did a review on it and said it was decently comparable to Memtester and docmem. In fact, they said all three were acceptable to use and roughly interchangeable. No preference for them.
  • ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited November 2003
    Oddly enough I just finished using it.
    My comp crashed an hour ago and on boot it failed saying "system memory check failed". Several attempts later I was still unable to get anything but a memory error on boot.
    So I took apart the pc and reseated the ram. Booted into windows and the first thing I did was run both of sandras memory tests. Bandwidth and cache. No problems. Went and download the above mentioned microsoft memory tester.
    It has two groups of tests it runs, one group has six different tests and the other has twelve. the second of the two takes awhile to run. I finished both tests error free so im not worrying about it just yet.
    I did take my pc apart earlier today and cleaned the dust out (intake fans were unable to suck threw the dust). Just seems odd that my machine ran for a few hours before it crashed with the memory problem.
    We will see what happens
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited November 2003
    Hmm, a Microsoft tool... hmmm.

I certainly wasn't aware of it, thanks for bringing it to our attention Simguy, I'll give it the once over when I get chance, and if I feel it's worthy, I'll put it up in the downloads section.

I have to admit though, I'm quite attached to 'Docmemory'.

Cheers
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited November 2003
    good find. Hopefully it will prove to be a good alt. to memtester.