Overclock or not ?

ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Well here it is. I have a Acer 24/10/40 model 2410A with firmware version P.JJ , it has 2mb buffer cache, CAV transfer mode and uses seamless link burnproof technology. I found a benQ firmware for a 52/24/52 burner that is the exact spec as mine, except in the picture I saw the drive didn't have a red indicator light for burning like mine dose. Then I found out BenQ is a joint company with acer..... Everything checks out hardware wise besides the little red light.... What do ya guys think ?

Comments

• edited June 2003
    go for it. i never tryed to overclock the cd-rom so let me know how it gos.
  • ElbowhiteElbowhite Croatia
    edited June 2003
    I o/ced my friens LG drive form 32/10/40 to 40/10/40. But this is a bigger bite. I don't know. But if you have balls go for it.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    If it doesnt burn CD's right anymore you can always just flash back to the old firmware. So unless the drive dies entirely, you have nothing to lose.

NS
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    If it doesnt burn CD's right anymore you can always just flash back to the old firmware. So unless the drive dies entirely, you have nothing to lose.

Ditto that.
  • ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
    edited June 2003
    I wasn't sure if I was able to flash back to the old software or not. I thought I would be screwed over if the new flash didn't work.
  • ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Well I went to overclock it and hit the upgrade button in the flashing program and it gave me the message that the firmware version couldn't flash.... I think they got smart and the program checks the firmware version on the current cdrw.
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by ALiEN509
    Well I went to overclock it and hit the upgrade button in the flashing program and it gave me the message that the firmware version couldn't flash.... I think they got smart and the program checks the firmware version on the current cdrw.

Any incremental upgrade avail? Meaning, maybe flash it as a slightly faster drive first, then slightly faster... maybe it's a matter of mismatching because your drive is below the minimum speed benq ever developed.
    edited June 2003
    Lol, quite an anti-climax really, I thought you were intending on using a hacked version of the firmware so that it would let you flash it (drives usally wont ever let you flash cross versions for obvious reasons, i.e. to stop people from breaking their drives).

NS
  • ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Well now I am just searching for where it's pulling the current firmware version ID from, I changed the firmware version id it showed in the cdrom properties in the control panel however it still yet detected the firmware version of the current cdrw. As for working in increments there are no other firmware versions listed compatible with this hardware listed on the companys web page. Either way it'll have to be a hack. I know these guys are ripping peeps off by updating their firmware little by little and not changing the hardware at all.
  • ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Well.... it probably is pulling it out of the drive.... <sighs>
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by ALiEN509
    Well.... it probably is pulling it out of the drive.... <sighs>

That's exactly what it's doing, which is why I was suggesting finding a intermediate firmware... sorry for the bad luck/news.
    edited June 2003
    Find a firmware that does work and hex edit the value that the firmare thinks it is, so that when you flash it it will return a version that you can then use to flash to the other firmware.

NS