Barton vs TB and steppings

ElbowhiteElbowhite Croatia
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I collected some money and now when I bought a new MBO it's time for a new CPU. I'm know things about these Thoroughbreds but I don't know anything about Barton CPUs. So, I don't know which one to buy, a 2500+ Barton or a 2600+ TB? Which is more overclockable and doesn't heat much? I know that Bartons have 512 cache memory and they should theoreticly be faster but....?

And what are the best steppings for the 2500+ Barton and 2600+Tb?
Thx guyz

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Stepping won't matter with the barton, last I checked there was still only 1.

Tbreds and Bartons are very similar in heat and overclocking ability, because they're basically the same core (barton having more cache as you mentioned, and slightly more refined).

Most people can easily get 2000mhz clock with the bartons, which does translate to like 2700+ PR ... but the 2100 tbred B AIUHB core can do 2400mhz overclocked which is over 3000+ PR. Either way it's win-win, as both cores are relatively cheap.

The 2600+ is just a 2100B core at a higher default clock, it doesn't guarantee better overclocking results just because it starts from a hogher default.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    You might find this FAQ I created helpful (I'm the Pinky guy referenced at the end :) ).

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190168
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    My take on this is simple!

If you want a good working machine for everything from MS Word to games get a Barton. If you want a machine for winning at the benchie numbers game go for T-bred "B". nuff said;)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by stoopid
    Stepping won't matter with the barton, last I checked there was still only 1.

Tbreds and Bartons are very similar in heat and overclocking ability, because they're basically the same core (barton having more cache as you mentioned, and slightly more refined).

Most people can easily get 2000mhz clock with the bartons, which does translate to like 2700+ PR ... but the 2100 tbred B AIUHB core can do 2400mhz overclocked which is over 3000+ PR. Either way it's win-win, as both cores are relatively cheap.

The 2600+ is just a 2100B core at a higher default clock, it doesn't guarantee better overclocking results just because it starts from a hogher default.
    According to AMD....
    Barton FSB400 2.00ghz = 2800+
    Barton FSB400 2.10ghz = 3000+
    Barton FSB400 2.20ghz = 3200+
    Tbred FSb333 2.25ghz = 2800+
    Barton FSB400 2.30ghz = 3400+

Subtract 200 pts to get the Tbred rating at the same mhz and FSB.

IMO these ratings are (over-rated) but the Barton is a better value
  • ElbowhiteElbowhite Croatia
    edited June 2003
    So, there's only one stepping for Barton?
    If there is I'm surely gonna buy a Barton couse it's a smaller risk of bouying a non-o/cable CPU. So, Barton it is. I'm going for it tommorow.
    Today my NF7-S v.2.0 is coming and tommorow Barton. I'll update the results on Sunday.
    Cheers and thx