Switching from nVidia to ATI

N0X1TYN0X1TY Kansas City, MO
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Hey I just ordered a 9700 Pro from Newegg to replace my aging Geforce 2 Ti and I need to know how to completely get rid of my Detonator drivers.
I lurked around a bunch at the old Icrontic, and there was a thread talking about programs you can use to fully remove Detonator drivers from your system so you dont have to format and reinstall when you switch.
I remember one of the programs was Detonator Destroyer, but that doesnt support WinXP
So, does anyone know what I can use w/ WinXP to remove my Detonators?
Thanks

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    hey N0X1TY!

great choice on the card!!!

but the sad thing is, some people ( in some cases) still reported problems even when removing the dets using those apps.

best thing to do is actualy reinstall. :\

BUT!

u can always try,

http://content.guru3d.com/index.php?page=detonatorrip&menu=0
  • N0X1TYN0X1TY Kansas City, MO
    edited June 2003
    Hey thanks for the info, i'll try that and hope for the best
    Hopefully i dont have to reinstall (i just did not too long ago :rolleyes: )

I see you have a Shuttle? I'm thinkin about getting one of those sometime soon for a second system/LAN box.
    How do you like it? And how does that 9700 Pro fit in it :D ?
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    I went from a GF4 Ti4600 to my Radeon 9700 and just uninstalled the GF4 in device manager, shutdown the PC, installed the radeon, and rebooted. Installed drivers as needed. Rinse, repeat. :p

I think too many people make a big deal out of driver issues and removal and such, I haven't had issues in over a year with either company's drivers...
    edited June 2003
    Cool thanks for the info, that was all I thought had to be done before seeing the thread on the old icrontic boards about switching

Hopefully my transition will be as smooth as that :p
    edited June 2003
    Well i got my 9700 Pro today :cool:
    First I uninstalled the nvidia drivers from the add/remove menu, rebooted, used detonator RIP, then installed the video card, drivers, etc
    Ran through 3dMark2003, played some UT2003, and everything looks great :D
    I got around 4521 3dMarks
    Thanks again for your help!
    edited June 2003
    Great news and good score :)
  • edited June 2003
    There is no way you got 4521 3dmarks...

I have a Athlon 1400 Thunderbird with 512 megs of ram on an ABIT kg7 /w a Geforce4 Ti4600 and i get about 1500 3dmarks in 3dmark 2003.

You got almost 3 times as much as me?

-Drew
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by badmrfrosty2
    There is no way you got 4521 3dmarks...

You got almost 3 times as much as me?

-Drew

I get around 4600 unoverclocked and 166mhz bus (would link you up but futuremark's project manager's down atm).

That's why the 9700's on top on futuremark's front page, it's an awesome card, and the reason I ditched my Ti4600 :p
  • edited June 2003
    Read tomshardware.com about why 3dmark is a crappy bench, there is no way that your card is 3 times faster than a ti4600.
    edited June 2003
    The main reason the 9700 Pro gets so much higher score is because it is DX9 compatible, while the 4600 is not. In games it doesn't make much of a difference, because they don't use the technologies that the benchmark does.
    3DMark2003 is a bit messed up, and I have read that both ATI and nVidia have "optimised" their drivers to the point that the scores aren't perfectly accurate (nVidia to the point were w/ an FX card if the driver detects 3dmark03.exe running it activates something that causes the card to get a significantly higher score).
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by badmrfrosty2
    Read tomshardware.com about why 3dmark is a crappy bench, there is no way that your card is 3 times faster than a ti4600.

That's true, and as Nox1ty explains, the benchmark is unforviving towards 8.1 cards...

I actually came back for benchmarking comparison...

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=661882

Post yours, and on the first few tests (that don't require directx 9) you can get a decent comparison of the true 'power' difference.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I get about 5900 3dmarks with my 9800 pro and 1800+ @ 1800 (180 fsb) 4521 isnt bad at all.........1500 on the other hand....wow....but it is a 8.1 card. I suggest an upgrade.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=837156

i dont have the 5963 score on orb, but as soon as i get it there, i' ll post.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2003
    I got around 4521 3dMarks

TY m8ty I feel a whole lot better with my score of 4100 with my modded 9500pro since im useing a athlon 1600xp on a msi nforce one mobo with nothing but the video card oced :)

Who knows maybe after I upgrade my mobo ddr and cpu I can get closer to that 4500 mark :)