Dial-up Problem

Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
edited November 2003 in Science & Tech
I recently helped someone reformat their laptop using the restore cds(dell inspiron) but whenever she connects to the internet, it will connect fine, but once connected it seems it will kind of just stop talking to the computer on the other end at times.

The computer won't disconnect but you can see the computers in the task bar not doing really anything. But then after a short amount of time it will start talking again. It didn't do this before and I am unsure how to fix this problem.

Does anyone know why it does this?

Thanks

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Check on the DELL site for new modem drivers. If you are using the originals, it's certainly worth checking for an update :)

There should be a service tag on the bottom of the laptop, use that in the DELL support website, to gain the list of latest drivers.
  • BusterBuster New York
    edited November 2003
    I use to have a similar problem where I wouldnt get disconnected but the server required a DNS so it would show a connection but I was unable to do anything. You might need to call the ISP and get the DNS information. I dont know if thats your problem but its something you can check on.
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited November 2003
    Thanks guys, I'll see if i can dig up some new drivers first. I am just slightly confused by it because they are the same drivers as before and nothing special such as dns info was needed before.

lol, maybe i am looking for a complex solution for a simple problem.

I won't be able to get to the computer until tuesday, so anymore suggestions will still help!
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2003
    I would go with the drivers first, if not, try another phone cord. If that doesn't help, have her call her telephone company and do a static check on her phone line, to clear up any static in the line. I work for an isp and it works wonders for our customers.