Has Anyone Read or Worked With This?

ml_manml_man The Asylum... Seeking Refuge
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Enable 48-bit LBA Support for Large Hard Drives (Windows 2000/XP)

By default Windows 2000 SP2, Windows XP and earlier versions of Windows do not support 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) for drives larger than 137GB as defined in the ATA/ATAPI 6.0 specification.

This tweak can be easily applied using WinGuides Tweak Manager.

Open your registry and find or create the key below.
Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "EnableBigLba" and set it according to the value data below.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Note: Please see Microsoft support article Q305098 for important information regarding this setting.

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
EnableBigLba REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\P...

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
Value Name: EnableBigLba
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Comments

• MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited June 2003
    This is interesting. I don't have XP but I sent the link to a friend. Try to change the thread subject title and I think you'll get better response.