Setting up a server on IIS using a dynamic IP address

gtghmgtghm New
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
I am having a little bit of trouble setting up my server.
I have a domain name and a couple of differnt IP updater progys.
I am (for now) using IIS version that came with my XP Pro.
I have complicated things by adding a firewall and a router, however I still could not get it to work properly with just the router.

I have basic access to the internet as you can see cause I posted from the machine with everything running.

I have both my onboard intel nic and an add in 3com nic bridged.
I gave it an IP address and stuff.
I set my router to port forwarding to that IP address.
According to the update progys they are finding my IP address and updating it.
However, when I type in my site url it can't find it.

I have DHCP enabled for both my firewall and my router.

Suggestions?,
"g"

Comments

• edited June 2003
    Not sure if its the same for everyone, but personally i cant see my server using external addresses from within my network and have to check it elsewhere.

To check if it is reachable i've been using this Spellchecker to check if outside things can reach my server when theres no one to ask, basically it will say theres a mispelling because of nbsp in the html letting me know it can reach the server fine :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, you cant see your internet IP from within your routers network, so you just have to type "localhost" or the machine name rather than your external IP.

What ports did you forward btw? As its port 80 that needs to be forwarded.

What I did to make life easier is put my sites URLs in my hosts file and pointed them at my server. So normally when I type my domain names, it would not load as it tries to use my external IP, but after doing this, my PC knows that they need to point internally to my server. Doing this lets me actually use the domain rather than typing my LAN machines name.

NS
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    When you bridge the nics you can't see the individual IPs anymore. Or I couldn't. If your running a router why are you running two nics in the server? Are you running differant IP address ranges on two differant sub nets or?

Is this win2k or win2k3 running as the domain controller? Is it or the router running as the dhcp server?

More info.

Tex
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2003
    Ok now were on to something, sorry I didn't check back sooner but I never got a notice that some one replied.

Ok to answer some questions I'll try and do the best I can.

First I bridged the nics just because I could... :rolleyes

I wondered if that was something that got me in trouble. Not sure

But lets start fresh and step by step.

I'll be in and out today and the comming days but if you can bare with me that would be great as I would really like to get this up and running properly.

Ok until I make the change to Apache I'm going to go with the IIS built into XP Pro, its all set up and pointed to my directories and we don't have to mess with that part at least not yet.

Ok, I fired up my unused nic thinking I would use that to carry all of my traffic on for the server and the other to surf and stuff on.

Might be a poor idea but it was a thought.

Then I found I could bridge the 2 so I thougt cool they could both handle the traffic together.

What I have..., I have a 4 port PIVIO plus firewall that I want to use so that I can secure my server connection.

I was going to use a standard linksys BESFR41 router to add in another layer of protection and IP addresses.

I have succeded in setting up through both to get to the net and get my mail but thats it.

I can't get back to the computer.

Right now I'm back on just the router and I have assigned the nic an IP address but I'm thinking of setting things back to factory on the 'puter side and the router side so that I can follow along fresh if that helps.

I have unconnected the firewall for now but I want to build that in.

I have a domain name and the updaters.

If we need to be more exact with the settings and info, may I suggest PM's or email as the whole idea is to set up a secure connection and as I found out already there are nincompoops out there that just for the fun of it like to hack things, as someone got into my router and change the IP and the ability for me to logon and change it...

But for the general stuff this is a great place to start. :grin

I think that during my research I found that the NAT thing might be a bit on the troublesome side but not something that can't be delt with...?

Thanks guys,
    "g"
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Tex
    When you bridge the nics you can't see the individual IPs anymore. Or I couldn't. If your running a router why are you running two nics in the server? Are you running differant IP address ranges on two differant sub nets or?

Is this win2k or win2k3 running as the domain controller? Is it or the router running as the dhcp server?

More info.

Tex

IIS that comes with XP Pro

I had both the router and the firewall as DHCP servers.

Not sure about the server?

Oh BTW, this is a combo machine. I'm using it for everyday stuff and serving a little personal web page on.

Tex you might remeber it's on my dual xeon rig I built a while back
    should be able to handle it for what I'm trying to do....

"g"