is there a performance increase beween the.

edited June 2003 in Hardware
amd athlon xp2600 which has a 33mhz bus speed as opposed to the athlon xp2400 whcich has a 266mhz bus speed, will i notice more than just the .8 Ghz increase if i go with the 2600, i dont plan on doing any over clocking Oh and is it worth the exta $15

*edit* added the last sentance

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Do you have memory and chipset that operate at that speed also then since you will not OC?

Tex
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    between a 266MHz FSB and 333MHz FSB theres a 600Mbps performance gain, you will need DDR2700 memory to make use of the 333MHz FSB and also a board that supports the FSB speed. Also , the 2600+ is clocked slightly faster than the 2400+.

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    I will be using a motherboard that supports that bus speed and I will also be ungin pc3200 for my RAM
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Why use pc3200 if you arent going to be overclocking? You will have the memory running 44mhz faster if you get the 2600 and 77 mhz faster if you get the 2400. Running in asynchronous mode doesnt give you any performance increases and in some instances a decrese. So i recommend you go and pick up some name brand pc2700 or 2100.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    DoM-aL, why tell hi mto go buy slower RAM. He can just set the RAM he has now in sync with the FSB so it will run at 333. At lkeast then he has DDR400 to go with a 400FSB chip if he later upgrades (not that theres much point because the A64 will be out soon.)

Running async can cause instability, at least thats what I found.

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    i was going with the faster ram since I already have it from another box that I built and got a good deal on it. This is my secondary comp im building right now