Can my raid setup move?

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I have a rocketraid 404 pci card with two 120gb drives striped. Would it be possibe to just move the whole raid setup without losing date just by moving the card and drives to another machine?

Also I have an A7N8X Deluxe would the serial raid be faster than the rocketraid404. I was thinking of maybe upgrading to serial drives and moving the rocketraid setup over to my old pc.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    The serial raid will not be much faster unless you get faster drives.

Yes the raid card should move fine without data loss but if your booting an OS from it then you will have to do a repair install or re-install of the OS anyway if teh MB/chipset is differant.

Tex
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I agree with Tex. SATA drives aren't enough faster to justify there cost. I have 2 80Gb SATA Seagate Cuda V's and the only speed advantage is a slight initial burst rate that lasts about 8Mb (wonder how that happened) Then it falls right to a standard 133 drive rate. SATA does have about half the CPU utilization of IDE but still not worth the $250 or so bucks to upgrade. Even more if you go for the overpriced WD RAPTORS.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Tex
    The serial raid will not be much faster unless you get faster drives.

Yes the raid card should move fine without data loss but if your booting an OS from it then you will have to do a repair install or re-install of the OS anyway if teh MB/chipset is differant.

Tex
    I agree with Tex not just because he's the main dude in this field but because I have moved my current RAID 0 array with O/S from an onboard HPT 372 controller to a HPT RocketRaid 1520 SATA card (required a repair instal as Tex mentioned 'cause I went from VIA KT333 to NF2) then moved the whole thinf 3 times after that. The other moves simply required deleting some hardware from the system and let XP install the new items. How's that for mobility???

SATA set up = Save you cash!
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by M33PiNS
    But but but, neater wiring :D
    Not to crap the thread but... When the hell are we going to get new power connectors... The molex things are so stupid - 50% of the time the damned pins pop out :(

Stop pulling the molex out by the wires!!

:D