A7n8X Deluxe - Major problem

PlecPlec UK
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Is this as bad as I think it might be?

My system is listed in my Sig & I’ve just starting getting the following error when windows boots up…

'The instruction at “0.x100003797” referenced memory at “0x00000004”. The memory could not be read.'

Ever since I had the Board I’ve had the occasional verbal memory message. I changed the memory from 1 stick of Crucial to 2 sticks of TwinMOS & that seemed to help. But even with the newly installed TwinMOS memory it occasionally mentioned the memory had failed the memory test. But after reading lots of other threads of ppl with a similar error * no other problem I ignored it as a quirk.

Today, it started to not recognise my IDE drive, used for back up to the SATA. I thought this was perhaps due to the flash from 1002A to 1004 I did yesterday & thought about resetting my CMOS. However now it’s started bringing up the above error every time it gets into windows :/

Any help would be appreciated – I’m dreading the words RMA appearing in the replies.

Plec

Comments

• PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    I've just reset the CMOS & set eveything to default & everything has booted ok - not even a verbal warning - but more importantly no printed error meassages as windows loads up.

If it carrys on booting ok it may be that the new BIOS doesn't like to be clocked so high. Anyone else noticed this?

Odd though, as my memory is on default & running below it's FSB to match the CPU FSB - and was even before I declocked my CPU.

Plec
  • pcscustompcscustom Oklahoma
    edited June 2003
    Is it possible to rma? You might need it ... But try and flash to latest revision bios also reset the bios via jumper or switch, take memory out blow out slots re seat memory try the obvious first..

Trev :rarr:
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    Think you wrote your reply just as i was writing mine :). Thanks for the reply though, appreciated.

The resetting of the CMOS & returning everything to defaults seems to have settled things down for now. I flashed to the latest BIOS yesterday & it appears that it's not as comfortable with the clock settings i was using on my old BIOS.

Just out of interest, do ppl who set their memory timing aggressively, e.g. 5 2 2 2, do they have to up their memory voltages to keep things stable? (mine is running at 7 3 3 2.5)

I'm interested as it may be worth upping my memory voltages, even when it's running at default speeds, to increase its stabilty.

Plec
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    What are you mem timings, voltages and since I'm not that familiar with your board in particular which revision is it.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I see you posted at the same time I did.

I would try running 6-2-2-2.5 then try 5-2-2-2 if you have been running the relaxed timings you posted. It seems a lot of NF2 boards don't like the relaxed timings. If all else fails try upping the core voltage.
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by mtgoat
    What are you mem timings, voltages and since I'm not that familiar with your board in particular which revision is it.

My core voltage is at 1.650v (0.05 above default for chip) & my memory is on default. My memory timings are 7 3 3 2.5 but as system appears to be very temperamental, regarding memory timing at the moment, i think I’ll wait & get the feel of this new BIOS before I start playing. :)

Thanks for the pointers though mtgoat.

It looks like the resetting of the CMOS has fixed all the problems.

I'm guessing that although I reset it straight after I flashed the BIOS, 2 days ago, it perhaps still had a residue of something still kicking around the system causing instability.

The verbal memory warning has disappeared but, more importantly, so has the error message which was appearing on my Windows boot screen - *PHEW*.

I’ve even upped my FSB back to 160 & de-clocked the memory to be in sync & everything seems to be ticking over nicely - for now :).

The back up IDE HDD is also being recognised again in windows so hopefully it was just ‘Post BIOS Flash Syndrome’ which has been cured by a 2nd resetting of the CMOS.

Plec