memory voltages

PlecPlec UK
edited June 2003 in Hardware
If you set the memory timings above the memory’s default manufactured settings is it necessary to up the memory voltages to keep things stable?

Plec

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    It depends, its always safe to do it,
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited June 2003
    I usually do. It keeps evrything running nice and stable @ Higher speeds and tighter timmings ;)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I have my DDR Voltage at 2.65 over 2.55v because its more stable that way anyway, and because I'm running F@H.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Plec
    If you set the memory timings above the memory’s default manufactured settings is it necessary to up the memory voltages to keep things stable?

Plec
    It depends. There is no advantage to raising the vmem if the system is STABLE.

There was a post on the OLD icrontic where one of our oc'ers stated he had better results at a specific voltage, rather than a higher voltage.

ex: he had better results at a vmem of 2.65 than he did at 2.75 (not actual numbers, just used as a reference point).
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the replies guys.

As soon as I've let this new 1004 BIOS settle in I'll take another look at my memory timings & voltages.

My system tried to scare the **** out of me yesterday, well I say try - it succeeded actually, but a 2nd resetting of the CMOS seems to have cured it.

My CPU is back up to 160 x 13 & the memory FSB has been de-clocked to be in sync & timings at default (7 3 3 2.5) & at the moment everything is back to running smoothly so I’ll probably come back to this thread in a few days when I think I have an idea of how stable this BIOS is.

Thanks

Plec