Can't install a program

JohnnyrunonJohnnyrunon Indiana
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
I have never had this happen before, and cannot seem to resolve it. I was running windows 98 and upgraded to windows xp. I had a program that I had put on a disc so that reinstalling it would be easier. By accident I ran the unwise. exe from the disc without the program being installed on my harddrive, I had clicked on the unwise.exe by mistake, since the program was not on the computer, I did not think anything about it. But now whether I tryand download the program from the site or try it from the disc, the same thing happens , when time to install comes it recognizes c drive as d and says that there is not enough space od D to install this program. also there is a error message saying that unwise.exe on D drive cannot be opened. Other programs download with no problem, but I just cannot install this program. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Comments

• edited June 2003
    Kooky Windows.

If this program is really important, you can just format the HDD and do a clean install of XP. That'll definately fix it :D

Try copying the files off the CD onto your hard drive and see if it'll run from there (Don't run it off the CD).

Did you try restarting after you accidently started Unwise.exe?
  • edited June 2003
    OK, try downloading the program you want to install. It looks like you have a partial backup-- unwise.exe is the uninstaller itself, and it looks like you removed the uninstaller.program.

Norton Systemworks install will put that back on, Office 2002 or XP or WordPerfectOffice 10 or CorelDraw 10 or 11 ditto. You could try to find the microsoft installer archives, or upgrade Internet Explorer to 6.1 when that comes out also. Needless to say you are not alone, many folks wipe their installer\uninstaller programs without thinking.

One more little thing-- did you double click it on a list of things of what's on the CD(In windows explorer or my computer?)?? IF SO, it happily tried to install from CD ONTO a CD that cannot be written to (it likes to put itself where it is run from given lack of instruction). That is the ohter way this sequence of events makes sense.

The Installer that puts programs on is called wise.exe, and unwise.exe typically uninstalls. You can many times, on a proper software CD, find a Setup.exe program to install stuff with, or on some CDs find an Autorun.exe or Autorun.inf file(the autorun.inf file can be looked at in Wordpad and then you know where the things it wants to run are, things like Setup.ex).

If you have none of these on the CD, your CD is not an install CD and very possibly may not be complete either. It might have parts of the program, but most wise installers stick program parts in various places (system and system 32and mfr folders and program folder itself are typical). If you backed up just the program folder you probably have about 2\3 to 1\2 of what program needs to run.

Good Luck.
  • edited June 2003
    To fix your problem,you need to reinstall the program from an official CD after removing all references to that program which will not install from registry. When you ran unwise you managed to get XP to think that the program was last installed on the CD.... You also ran an old unwise, the newest installer\uninstaller pairs do not do this.

John Danielson.