HELP! WTF - Norton freezes Start-Up

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
When starting up, my IBM loads the background and looks like it has finished booting, but my computer is frozen for 1-2minutes until Norton Antivirus finishes loading. The yellow Norton shield has an exclamation point in the taskbar while my computer is on hold. When the exclamation point goes away, my computer then runs normally. If I start up my computer and don't have my ethernet cord plugged in, Norton doesn't show the exclamation point over the shield and it loads very rapidly. What is causing Norton to freeze when my ethernet is plugged in, what does the exclamation point over the Norton shield mean, and how can I fix it? Thanks!

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Try reinstalling it.
  • edited June 2003
    lol i did that already. when i boot up not connected to the internet it's fine. when my ethernet cord is plugged in there is a pause/freeze and an exclamation point shows up over the norton shield until the program loads or scans the connection or i don't know and then its fine. rebooting/reformatting/reinstalling did nothing.
  • edited June 2003
    oh also its interesting to add that before i reformatted my computer (wiped it completely clean) i didn't have a problem. the software downloaded updated virus definitions automatically and now it does not. i read the help file and it said that if it is not a network managed computer software installation you have to download the virus updates manually but before it did it automatically. i must have something set up wrong but the only option when installing is "managed" or "unmanaged" and obviously i want "unmanaged".
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Sorry but I can't help much. I've always used the programs separately. Good luck on getting fixed.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    you most likely have a virus or a trojan that killed NAV.

Or you can uninstall NAV, and then use the RNAV2003.EXE tool found on symantec's website (it is a "deep norton" removal tool)..
  • edited June 2003
    but i reformatted and cleaned my drive (b/c of corrupted drive) and then installed norton antivirus so there shouldn't be a trojan or anything..

i'll try the deep clean but i doubt it'll work.
  • edited July 2003
    ok i found this on symantec's site. i tried uninstalling but maybe i'm not getting rid of everything i don't know. hmm i'll have to continue to try to work this out b/c nothing is working...

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/1999092909421248?Open&src=w
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    ...it might be a problem with Live Update. I had something like this happen to me a few years ago, so the details are kind of hazy, but I remember having to fiddle around with uninstalling and reinstalling Live Update. See if uninstalling it through Add/Remove programs will let you do that. I believe Symantec used to have a program to reinstall just Live Update.

Good Luck

Prof
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Maybe it is trying to run a scheduled update? I should clarify: by default scheduled updates are set to run on friday at 8pm or something on my NAV, and I'm suspecting the same with yours.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Shivian
    Maybe it is trying to run a scheduled update? I should clarify: by default scheduled updates are set to run on friday at 8pm or something on my NAV, and I'm suspecting the same with yours.

That's absolutely right. In addition, Norton checks on startup to see if your virus definitions are current. You might try deleting the definitions you have now, then run live update to get fresh ones. If the current definitions are a little wiggy that would explain the delay.

Prof
  • edited July 2003
    LOOKS like you have a previously installed OEM that the NAV def server knows about. Some of the Corporates come with limited life licenses also adn the NAV def server now crosschecks against previous reg from same CD. If you are still within your subscription time then Symantec customer service can either unlock your record so that you can then update starting about 24 hours from when you call them or give you a case number and online tech engineering who will email you a new subsription number that will work only for your copy. This has also happened when the computer date is way off and when that happens it is most often also true that the CMOS battery has died and needs replacing and that could cause the BIOS tolosetrack of your HD def also. Check the BIOS date-- if many years off from right when you installed NAV and you changed it to right and this happened call customer service in CA and tell them about it. They deal with misdated machines at NAV install time a lot. also, NAV 2002 probaly willnot reinstall any more, they do expire the installers with a date check too and automaticly invalidate the subscriptions with a date check for some versions of NAV.

This acts like a corporate or OEM (only those have the managed option), and some of the OEMs have exactly 90 days subscription time now. Too many people were getting free defs-- result was too many were not paying, so they cracked down adn then had to crack down again cuz Corps were getting lifetime updates and some OEMS were not expiring and some OEM subscription and some Coprorate subscription codes got to too many warez sites way too often and the Symantec corp predator boxes caught the patterns of too many folks downloading the same defs from too many diferent IPS using the same subscription number and either an admin or a server invalidated same (yes, they also use what they sell big business and it works and can validate def subscriptions also) with some admin study of logs(what YOUR local NAV does is logged nowand servers and humans look atthose logs.

Wiping the defs once, and\or going to Symantec's site and downloading the def set downloader can fix only bad defs with a full replacement set, and the downloader now checks for a valid subscription.

John Danielson.
  • edited July 2003
    but i've already uninstalled norton, rebooted, and re installed it. manually uninstalled, manually installed, manually updated virus definitions, and anything else i could think of

it isn't a retail norton its symantec antivirus corporate edition 8.0. i download the installation file from my school's website which has an unlimited license, install it (the only options are where to install on the drive and whether managed or unmanaged) and that's it.

i think the subscription is unlimited as well and i don't think its a my subscription ran out or my license ran out type of thing. i guess this problem isn't too big a deal but it didn't use to happen and it is BOTHERING me that i can't figure it out :(

I'll try to call them I guess but I assumed that Norton would make me pay $$$ for customer service. Thanks for your help everyone!