Basic troubleshooting explained (pics)

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited July 2003 in Hardware
Okay well I got in and my main rig was down. No power at all to the computer. So I tried all the basic steps to troubleshoot a non booting pc. I also included some pics of some of the steps.

First off I tried a different outlet along with a different power cord just to make sure it wasn't one of the two. No power still. After that I tried another psu in my system, still no boot.

From this point on I knew it wasn't my powersupply that was the culprit. I really didn't wont to strip my whole computer apart but it was all that was left.

So I unhooked everything, hard drive, optical drive, all molex connectors, etc...

I know some of you have seen other members and myself suggesting to take the motherboard out of the case and run it with the bare minimum ontop of the motherboard box, to make sure nothing is shorting out, well this is what I decided to do.

First off this pic is my motherboard outside of my case ontop of the box it came in with the psu also on the outside of the case.

comp1.JPG

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    This is another shot of the motherboard, along with the AntecTruePower psu I used to test if my psu was dead or not

comp2.JPG

This shot is an upclose of the mobo sitting on the box.

comp3.JPG

Now if you are wondering what the problem was, here is the conclusion. Last week I took out my psu to test a customers computer with it, as I was cleaning out my computer and taking out the psu the video card got shook loose, along with the pwr switch connector to my motherboard from the power switch on the case. That was the reason why my computer would not boot up.

If you are having the same problem, the steps I listed should set you on your way to getting your computer up again.

And finally the last pic of my computer booting up after I got it working

comp4.JPG

edit: didn't know that multiple images could be inserted into a thread, sorry for the two posts :(
  • edited July 2003
    the video card got shook loose, along with the pwr switch connector to my motherboard from the power switch on the case. That was the reason why my computer would not boot up.

ewps :p. basic and very easy mistake im sure we have all done atleast one of those.

Glad its all working for you now, nice simple steps btw mate. will help a newbie out :)

Jono