Radeon 9700 pro problems

Freshy-KFreshy-K in your head
edited July 2003 in Hardware
I'm having some odd problems with my Radeon 9700. When I update my drivers, the graphics are all messed up. But if i use the version that was on the CD, the graphics work properly but are not as fast as they could be. And with the drivers on the CD, I can't run the last test on 3DMark03. But when I update the drivers, I can run it but everything is chock full of artifacts and misplaced polygons. The shadows are all messed up and its really weird. Those old drivers are pretty slow in comparison to the new ones, or atleast I've heard.

Oh yeah, is there a place where I can download DX9 installer and not the web installation thing because I am on a very slow interent connection.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I suspect that I need to update my VIA4in1 drivers but I don't really know.

Thanks

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    what is the rest of your system? Which driver set have you tried? which driver set is on that cd? which 4 in 1 are you running right now?
  • edited July 2003
    Well if your not on dx9 then maybe that's the problem?

you can probably get dx9 of a cover disc for a pc gaming magazine
  • edited July 2003
    DX9 should be on the CD that came with your rad

or on the CD of any new game

when you're on DX9 download the Cat 3.5's at www.ati.com

MoJo
  • edited July 2003
    Grab the Via Hyperion driver set. But, before install you get to uninstall the old set to have this take perfectly. Then make sure the AGP accell part of the new set is installed.

There is another radically different reason possible for video artifacts-- is your monitor defined right and is it a recent one??? DX 9.0 likes PNP monitors and the driver installers try to probe to sysnc video modes to monitors. The monitor def has acceptable mode tables if the monitor def is right. If not, you get things like refresh rates that are on the edge of invalid and dot clock rates that are on the edge of invalid(too fast),and you get all sorts of video artifacts before the video goes totally invalid.

The other thing to mention is that mfr's tend to custom DirectX to fit their drivers and cards when they include it on CD.

Asfor the redistributable for DX 9.0, try here and scroll down two-thirds of a screen:

http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/13/1/4/13-1-4-6.shtml

http://www.zone.com/
    had redistributable download and even beta DX links last time I was there, but Netscape 7.1 is too new for Zone.com's breowser detection code (It recommended Netscape 6.2.3).

Redistributables are full archives that will self install and which are likely to be bigger than what the web updater will have. They are archives for network admins that want to have a new DX deployed on a network but which go onto one box fine without a network also.

John Danielson.
  • Freshy-KFreshy-K in your head
    edited July 2003
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll do that stuff once I format my hdd so i can have a fresh start at it all.
  • Freshy-KFreshy-K in your head
    edited July 2003
    Hm... this sucks...none of that fixed the problem...AAAAAH!!! I guess I just have to stick with the old ones. I am using the Hyperoion 4.48 and using driver pack 6.something.

And i am using DX9 and it is giving the same problem. And another thing I noticed, Fast Write is not enabled. I don't know what that does but I know my motherboard supports Fast Write. And my mobo is a Abit KT7 w/ 1.1 T-bird.