Question on Sata Raid

DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
edited July 2003 in Hardware
Ok i'm going to be getting an nf7-s on thursday probably and i already have 2 120 gb jb's and 2 sata adapters. I'm wondering what jumper settings i need to change the harddrives to or if i just leave the settings as cable select?

Comments

• edited July 2003
    I woudl check your adapter docs. Technically, many HDs like to be set as Master to adapt. The JBs will typically set themselves to master if they detect they are the only thing on the cable, but that is for what their controllers were designed for. So, you have some adapters that also have jumpers that need to be set to match the HD in some cases-- variable by adapter, master is most likely to work best if you set one drive per SATA socket on mobo (in theory they CAN be daisy-chained, adapters will limit this in ways that vary by adapter circuit design-- because SATA adapters CAN be hardwired to terminate the chain and some of the first WERE so designed).

If you see jumpers on adapter itself, google that model for the tech specs and see what does what. If not jumpers, CS or MA should work and Master should work on all with only one drive and no daisychains on a single channel (each socket is usually a separate channel even though on multichannel chip is used-- generally true for SCSI, SATA, PATA, and USB (though root hubs with USB come in pairs of BUS sockets per hub and single headers that have two socket connect sets per header(even if they are a 2x5 common connect, each long run of 5 pins is one root hub socket's worth)).

Short form-- varies by adapter, but Master is safest first setting for the way SATA is used most often right now.

John Danielson.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Both my HPT and Abit adapters recomend "Master" as Ageek pointed out. Mke sure you get the new bios in before using the SATA RAID in a raided config.