Faulty Motherboard?

edited July 2003 in Hardware
I just recently built a computer and when I go to fire it up I get absolutely nothing. My friend and I think that it is a faulty motherboard and I want to know if there is a way to test it. Or if you can just tell by what it does, here is what happens: My power supply has a fan in it that hooks up to the mother board, and when I turn on the computer nothing happense at all. So my friend thinks that the motherboard is messed up because the power supply works but if it worked it would send power to the motherboard and then that would run back up into the power supply causing the fan to run but they don't, none of them do. We know that the it isn't just the power supply because we have hooked up other ones it it, and when we turn it off there is a weird noise of it powering off. I really have no idea why it does this. What do you think?

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2003
    Could also be a short. I had a problem with my last install, had to put tape on the motherboard mounts to insulate the contact between them... and I had the exact same symptoms, and for a bit it confused me until my friend made the suggested that something was shorting the motherboard.

Other causes could be a poorly seated video card, memory stick, or loose atx power connector. I've seen all of these hault a system without beeps.
  • edited July 2003
    Does it matter what kind of tape you put on them? Or would regular old scotch tape to the trick?
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Spyder4765
    Does it matter what kind of tape you put on them? Or would regular old scotch tape to the trick?

I used scotch tape.
  • edited July 2003
    It works, thanks!!!!
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Spyder4765
    It works, thanks!!!!

Thank Nebulus, he was the one who keyed me in (I would never have guessed that as a valid cause).

No problem either way, enjoy.
  • edited July 2003
    This will be fine if the computer never gets real hot. A fiber washer superglued to the top of the brass standoff would be better-- glue on with a screw in it not tightened tight, then remove screw in a couple minutes and you can still use mount stud to screw motherboard down that way and fiber washer will stay in place. Leave washer on if not going to screw down, it will insulate underside of motherboard-- however, it would be better to glue a bit of thermal heatsink pad on underside of mobo where it touches or grab brass stud with needlenose pliers or 4" mini vise-grips and unscrew and move to right place for mobo if it is in the wrong place.

There is one mistake a lot of folks make-- the new Power Supplies need new style power switches.

Another one is that Power Supplies tend to shut down FAST when overloaded-- the quick testerscannot test the way a machine full of DVDs, CDs, mobo, big video card can load up a PSU, they can just roughly test. PSUs that test good in testor may not work in all computers because lots of gear eats lots of 5 volt and 3 volt power-- the cheaper and poorer quality power supplies tend to be able to feed less 5 volt power when 12 volt power is used (they balance across the power output legs). Big new video cards, big HDs, and DVDs and new fast CPUs severely load Power Supplies. ATXs that are NOT 2.03 type or 2.03+ type or 2.04 type (backwards compatible, and will be what the Opteropns will like best) cannot cope with the newest and greatest and latest gear. Figure logically a good PSU needs to be about 15-20% the cost of your computer (good rule to judge, cheap is junk and a power supply should not be loaded to more than 3\4 its rating in normal use-- RMS rating is 3\4 of absolute highest, roughly, and many economy builders put absolute and not RMS on label).

John Danielson.