Opteron Release timing.

edited July 2003 in Hardware
There was a Belgian website that sells AMD components that shows all 2-way Opterons on backorder until July 8, 2003. They show a 246 Opteron in this list. My understanding is that this speed CPU is going to need to be an "Athens" series for cooling reasons("Athens" is a 90 nm CPU).

This brings up something interesting-- AMD Partners are typically given samples to pass on to OEMs they distribute to (usually VARs who have dual-layer market abilities and also mfr). Second, FAB 3 in Dresden is where the new smaller and denser CPU cores will be fabbed AFAIK. Belgium is neighbor to Germany and AMD does not always release samples worldwide at once after prepositioning\preshipping them-- so nearest the fab site is likely to get delivery first for samples.

It is just barely possible someone got notified they would get a few samples with their next order, stuck the CPU entries on the DBMS all at once and let it perk to their website. The price is so relatively high compared to the other prices that I strongly suspect the seller thinks they will have limited supply and will price accordingly.

But the date has my mind looping with this question-- why is this not anywhere on AMD's site, unless the samples are mostly allocated and sites or other publishers of tech material are buying them to review them?? It lloks liek teh stage-up for somethign very worth watching closely, at the very least.

Oh, Tex-- talk to Monarch Computer, they are an AMD Processor PArtner for the Opteron series and will sell Opteron Blades and other components. They are in Georgia, but you might be able to sell some publicity for a sample to review-- CPU, motherboard, etc. This is what lots of the "big boys" do and Monarch is well known among AMD customers who use Open Source for boht servers and workstations-- they did, among other things, two of the Ultimate Linux Boxes and have ads in Linux Journal regularly. Figured you might want to know that if not already known , not saying you do not already know this, mind you.... :)

I buy stuff from them reasonably often now-- after cross-pricing with Newegg, though they have price-matched a couple things I know of that were AMD things. They buy almost as many AMD CPUs as NewEgg does and market the CPUs with mobos agressively as combos. They tend to be very aggressive with server pricing as that is their real metier'

John Danielson.