Linux Error

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I have a USB CD-rom drive that i use for Linux, when it starts up it says :

Checking New Hardware it hangs there for a moment then displays the error message :

Updating /etc/fstab cannot stat /dev/cdrom : No such file or directory

What does this mean and how do i fix it?

Nikumba

Comments

• edited July 2003
    Leave a data CD in the USB drive at startup, Linux is trying to find a data CD. Alternatively, ignore error,it is trying to map contents of drive and tha mapping script does not like being told no data. Small bug related partly to the way Linux does USB CD-ROMs. Similar issues with ZIP drives. Linux sometimes will not use drives that show no contents at startup, but more often what happens is you get a lag before data access with USB CD-ROMs. Built-ins have no such problem.

Essentially that particular error is "I can't find any data on this thing," and might not affect the drives operation once things are up and running. IF you have problems getting data read later, let us know about those, this is a situation where actual errors in use will help figure out what to fix better than startup errors.

The pause at startup, unless it is a lock, is that Linux tries many times to find data on something that it thinks normally has data on it before giving up and it tries to make a list for itself of what is on drive. right now some models of machine and USB device work better if the CD-ROM is not plugged in until after boot is complete, otehrs work best with a data CD in drive at boot, and still othrs only work when device is hooked up at boot and it has a CD with data (not a music CD) on it in it at boot time. Is partly how mfrs vary how their CDR drives work.

John Danielson.
  • edited July 2003
    It will run up into Linux, but it will the not detect the presece of the USB cdrom drive. I dont want to have to reinstall Red Hat again

Nikumba
  • edited July 2003
    Ok, which version of RedHat and what kernel version do you have, if you know?? And does your computer have a USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 or both and if both which kind is the USB drive plugged into???

That info will help me help you. Knowing exact model and brand of drive would help also.

John Danielson.
  • edited July 2003
    Im using Red Hat 9, the kernel version is which everone it comes with.

I belive it has a USB 1.1 port, and it is a TEAC USB CD-rom drive.

Nikumba