Win XP Startup Problem

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I just got my new PC running and I installed XP on it, but whenever it restarts it requires the XP setup disc to boot. It won't boot from the HD, I changed the BIOS boot sequence but it does it everytime.

Comments

• edited July 2003
    What errors are you getting??
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2003
    Yeah... When the disk isnt in what happens?

Tex
  • edited July 2003
    It just won't start up until you put the CD in. It says like Disc Boot Failure and waits for the disc. So you put it in and then it says "To boot from CD press any key" if you do that then it goes to reinstall XP, so if we let it run and timeout then it starts up.
  • edited July 2003
    I'm still not sure what you got going there. During the install sequence, the computer reboots. When it did that, did you remove the CD and allow it to boot from the Hard drive???
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2003
    Where is the disk connected exactly and how is it formated and partitioned etc? Is this a fresh install or upgrade? New parts or?

Give us more info. Winxp goes thru one reboot off the hard drive when its first going thru the install. Right after it copies files. About ten minutes into the install. Does it make THAT reboot?

I have done a couple boxes that had to have the HD swapped onto teh other ide port durring THAT first reboot. The cdrom had to be there to boot initially but the HD wouldn't boot till I switched the frigging cable to the other port also.

Tex
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Make sure `boot other devices` is enabled in the BIOS....

NS