unstriping my stripe set

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Hardware
I have two 40 GB IDE drives in a stripe set, no parity. winxp is doing the raid, they're not on a raid controller or anything. is it possible to unstripe them and not lose all the stuff on them at the same time? i want to free up one drive to put linux on it. I know this probably a no answer, but i fogured I'd check first.

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    while I'm at it, if this can't be done, is there a way to install linux on a dynamic volume? hahahahaha, probably not, but it is linux and I'm constantly amazed at what those guys can do.
  • edited July 2003
    Um, no, but Linux can manage Logical Volumes if booted from a non-volume and the boot volume need not be the /home volume, and the /usr volume can also be different.

Google Linux+LVM (Linux Volume Manager)

Volume size limits are way up into the Teras now with Linux.

Unfortunately, you DO get to undo your volume and restore what you want afterward if it breaks or you want to undo it-- and that is true for 90% of operating systems including Linux and Windows.

Back up files as files, not volumes as volumes or you will get to recreate your volume to restore.

If you can, boot from a HD not in volume-- volume were designed for data, not boots. (not kidding, boot volume needs tobe at least separate from data so you can restore separately). Technically, while you can in some ways resize with expensive software(Server data recovery and volume restore utils are expensive), it takes as long or longer than backing up and restoring HD to HD or from one directly connected computer or networked computer to another after redefining and trashing the volume.

I would make boots non-volumed, and data in large amounts volumed. And it is worth doing the backup\recovery process once to learn it.

If XP were not so finicky about moving its boot location, things would be better, but as it is your best bet is not to make boot part of volume and volume only the data. XP does not apprciate being told to ignore HDs, either.

That means an EXCLUSIVE multiboot box is best for this-- swap out a HD instead of trying to boot two OS's on one HD. I do never let XP know its computer was used by anohter O\S. XP boot HD slides out of coldswap rack, Linux HD slides in.

to get data from one to other, easiest thing is to make a one HD FAT32.

Then you have that HD as common to either as both can handle FAT32 readign and writing with minimal issues. My data HD gets labelled and its carrier labelled as such, and goes in a second bay-mounted coldswap rack. Then can back up by pulling it and sticking a backup target in.

Answer-- while you CAN do what you want to do with LOTS of effort, it takes less effort and money to do what I do now overall.

John Danielson.
  • edited July 2003
    Originally posted by kanezfan
    I have two 40 GB IDE drives in a stripe set, no parity. winxp is doing the raid, they're not on a raid controller or anything. is it possible to unstripe them and not lose all the stuff on them at the same time? i want to free up one drive to put linux on it. I know this probably a no answer, but i fogured I'd check first.
    If XP is doing the RAID then obviously you have the OS somewhere else. As Ageek states, just back the files up somewhere else then break the RAID.

No you cannot put Linux on the Dynamic Raid if that is what you are thinking. It requires XP to manage it.

You probably also have it formated as NTFS. Linux can read it but not write it....yet. I have everything in FAT32 so I can access with either OS.

Here is a thread on Dual Booting Windows and Linux.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Didn't read all of Ageek's post but the answer to the first question is that you cannot undo dynamic disks. I think you have to repartition.
  • edited July 2003
    Well, since the goal was to have Linux on a striped volume or to resize the stripe, the only answer that I can give which does that would be costly-- Linux inside VMWare hosted on XP Pro or 2000.

I think that the Enterprise products from PowerQuest can operate on dynamic volumes, do not know if they can resize XP's kind of dynamics yet. Either way, both are not economical for what is needed. CD-RW or DVD-RW would be more economical, if used as backup media and then reused later when not needed to store that backup.

John Danielson.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    that's what I figured. I'll just backup what I need and break the stripe. actually, I'm probably gonna ditch XP for 2K, I'm really only keeping windows aroud for games anyways, so why bother with the extra XP stuff.