Network Adapters

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I just built my PC and got XP running on it. When I first got it running I got it running good and had the internet on it, then I moved it up into my room and got an ethernet cable running from my router to my PC. But now my PC doesn't recognize the Network Adapter and I can't get on the internet. There isn't even a Network Adapter option on the device manager. I don't understand.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Take the card out and put it in another slot, it sounds like its come loose.

NS
  • edited July 2003
    I forgot to mention it is onboard, and I still don't understand why there isn't a Network Adapter option on the device manager.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    So, it's enabled in the BIOS, but when you look in the device manager you don't see any network adapters at all?
  • edited July 2003
    Ok, I got it on the device manager and stuff now. But there is a big exlamation point on it and I can't get it to work. I have tried a new driver but it won't work. I mean I have gotten the internet to work on it like the day before, but now it isn't working.
  • edited July 2003
    Delete the reference to the adapter in your control panel and restart XP, then reinstall.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited July 2003
    Try going into Device Manager and right click on your network adapter, then click on "scan for hardware changes".
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    MrBill: It doesnt matter where you click "Scan for hardware changes" as that doesnt scan particular devices, it just rescans the computer for added or removed plug and play devices. This is also done at boot anyway, so if he has rebooted this won't have any effect.

NS
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    MrBill: It doesnt matter where you click "Scan for hardware changes" as that doesnt scan particular devices, it just rescans the computer for added or removed plug and play devices. This is also done at boot anyway, so if he has rebooted this won't have any effect.

NS
    NS: I know it doesn't matter where you click it. :) I had other reasons for him doing it this way. i.e. making SURE the network device shows there and what the status is.

Secondly, I have seen issues with some external CD-RW's where this would make the system recognize the device. Maybe they were hooking up the drive after bootup, but I don't think that was the case. If that doesn't fix it then....

I would remove the device from hardware manager. Reboot and go into the BIOS and disable the network device, save, and let windows boot all the way up. Reboot and go into the BIOS and enable the network device,save and let windows boot all the way up and check device manager....
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited July 2003
    what motherboard is this? i've seen some funky things with a gigabyte board and not recognizing the network adaptor in windows.

~dodo
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Since its an onboard network adaptor the drivers have to be the culprit... it could be that another device is taking the IRQ of the NIC and for whatever reason its not being shared with the NIC.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2003
    What other cards are in the computer. Usually teh NIC is sharing an IRQ or address range with other hardware and they are basiclay jacking with each other.

Sometimes moving another card around or disabling other hardware and getting the NIC installed first will let them all get setup right. I have an asus with onboard sopund and everytime I reinstall lthe friggin sound makes me jump thru hoops to get it installed. You NIC problem is gonna be similiar

Tex
  • edited July 2003
    I would also have the cable tested or run a tester on it if I had one. Half the XP NIC flakes I have dealt with were caused by bad cables. Sometimes just recrimping the ends worked. Sometimes just checking where plugged in worked, one also had dust in socket in wall and then that got all over contacts on cable(LOTS).
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited July 2003
    Ya I'm definetly going to have to say take the chipset drivers that came with your motherboard. Go into device manager ---> right click the network adapter select update driver then select install from specific location then select Search removable media and uncheck include this location. This should fix your problem