Got h4x0red :(

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Got hacked this morning. They did something to the extent that all my executables couldn't be found. Whether they changed a file, or uploaded a virus doesn't matter. Luckily, I had formatted two nights before, so I didn't have much on there to lose :D

How'd he get in? My stupid ass opened up port 80 on my router to my machine, which I had Apache 1.3 running WITHOUT a firewall. :)

At least he was nice and showed me I was getting hacked by popping up 10 or so windows in Opera (which I have popups disabled and ran ad-aware like 30 min ago) :)

So now I need some firewall software. Not Zonealarm. I had too much trouble with that initially. I know some of you swear by it, but there has to be another piece of software which will configure easy and be nice to me and not bug me every time a random ping bounces off me. Anything free, or even trial ;) Just some ideas. Ideas on securing my setup wouldn't hurt either (Which BTW, is a cable modem running to a router running to two hosts, myself and the family PC. Theirs didn't get hacked as far as I know.

Comments

• edited July 2003
    Sygate Professional. Google Sygate Technologies, or go to:

http://www.sygate.com/

and get the free one--if you like it, then go to the same site and online buy the Pro. Very nice tools.

John Danielson.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Firewalls just block trafic on certain ports, so running a firewall on a machine like that would be pointless as the only port open on that machine acessable would be port 80, which you want open otherwise Apache wouldnt work.

Having a port open on a machine isnt going to get you hacked. Basically you had to have some virus or trojan installed before hand.

NS
  • edited July 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    Firewalls just block trafic on certain ports, so running a firewall on a machine like that would be pointless as the only port open on that machine acessable would be port 80, which you want open otherwise Apache wouldnt work.

Having a port open on a machine isnt going to get you hacked. Basically you had to have some virus or trojan installed before hand.

NS

If thats the case, then screw the firewall.

Either way, I think I got hit by the script kiddie parade.

Thanks for the link though. I'll keep it in mind if I ever need one. Now to find some anti virus soft. :D
  • edited July 2003
    For anitvirus I like Grisoft's AVG. It's priced right.
    I use to use Tiny Software for a fire wall in Win98SE. It was free for home use, but looks like they are charging for it now. I'm just using XP's native firewall now.
  • edited July 2003
    Originally posted by M33PiNS
    Got antivirus dude? Smells like a trojan and I ain't talking condoms :D

That's what I'm thinking.

I know PCs pretty well, but I'm absolutely stupid when it comes to exploiting vulnerabilities. :D
  • SlackerSlacker CA, USA
    edited July 2003
    Could it be that Apache 1.3 itself is flawed? The lastest version is 2.0.4, upgrading might be a good idea. You might want to check if any other ports have been left open accidentally. Also, if possible, monitor the traffic on all of your ports for a few days to make sure that you don't have a trojan.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Cool Canuck
    For anitvirus I like Grisoft's AVG. It's priced right.
    I use to use Tiny Software for a fire wall in Win98SE. It was free for home use, but looks like they are charging for it now. I'm just using XP's native firewall now.

3 and 4 arnt free.

The best version (2) is free.

NS