Wireless Woes

DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Specs
Router: D-Link DI-614+ 2.4 / 22mbps
Pci wireless card: D-Link G520 2.4 / 54 mbps

Computer
This pc was just setup yesterday and has a clean install of windows xp pro corporate.
Amd 2500+
1024 Corsair PC3200 XMS
Ati Radeon 9700
WD SE 120 GB JB OS
WD SE 120 GB JB backup
Abit Nf7-s

The situation
Last night i installed the drivers for the pci card ahead of time as the instructions say to do so. This morning I woke up and went to install the hardware. The installation ran smoothly, I followed every step in the manual, and my router showed up. I go into the d-link config and see that my card is only transmitting and isn't doing any receiving at all. I check all my router configs and settings. I check wep settings all that but still i have yet to find anything that will fix my solution. I remember when my dad was installing a couple laptop cards he had the same problems, but he is out to lunch at the moment. I'm going to uninstall the drivers, software, and hardware and give it another shot to see if there was a step that I missed along the way.

Anyways, as always input is appreciated.

Good Afternoon,
al

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The only time I've seen this is with a bad cable - exactly the same symptoms though. Try a different cable if one is available.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited July 2003
    Different cable? I'm using a pci card.
  • edited July 2003
    Wireless connect or does it use a network cable to router??? If wireless, please hardwire something like a PC to the router, browse to its httpable config in a browser from what you connected to the router with a cable, adn make sure it is still set to what you set it to if you unplugged it or managed to reset it or never did check after getting it.

NETWORK cable.

John Danielson.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited July 2003
    Yea, already checked that and everything seems to be in working order. I'm about to call tech support for the third time today. Let's hope I dont get bs'ed.
  • edited July 2003
    Yeah,write down the WEPs for your XP box, have tech support walk you through matching your router to computer. That is easiest way, so you do not need to configure BOTH. If you get BS'd ask for an immediate RMA or a Supervisor-- the guy who handles RMAs usually is a support supervisor if not an engineer also as far as a lot of networking mfrs and HD mfrs are concerned. If a real wise guy, ask for his name and his boss's name, then ask for his boss by name.

John Danielson.
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    DoM-aL.
    Are you able to connect to the internet through the router? Can the router see your wireless card? Are you getting a good wireless signal?

If you have to upgrade the firnware on that router the best way is through a wired ethernet card if you have one handy. I've done it both ways wireless and wired. It worked fine both ways.

Are you using the Wireless Zero Configuration in Services. If you are it should be set to automatic and started. Some cards don't use it. They have their own Wireless Manager. If not uncheck use Windows to configure my wireless connection.

I would forget about using a wep until you are straightened out.

I don't remember if you mentioned what you were connected to is it DSL or Cable? Does your ISP support routers? Makes it easier to ask them questions if they do.

Sorry I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where your stuck, that is why I'm asking so many questions.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited July 2003
    Ok, at the moment I am using Roadrunner Cable, I already disabled wep on both the router and my computer. I'm not going to upgrade firmware yet. That will be my last ditch effort. Already unchecked the windows option. Yes my isp supports routers.
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    I would upgrade the firmware. If you have downloaded updates for Windows there are newer firmwares to support WPA on a lot of the routers and cards.
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485
    If you have this download installed uncheck enable 802.1x authentication , this has helped a bunch of people. Some people can't get on the internet until they uninstall Q81485. Unchecking authentication works for most. Suddenly everything connects. Mine is unchecked and I have Q815485 installed.
    Here is another link for troubleshooting wireless
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b313242
    If you have restored Windows http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;329441
    More troubleshooting http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited July 2003
    Well I just went ahead and rma'ed it for a 22mbps card and it fixed the issue. I'm assuming there was a compatibility issue for 54 mbps cards and 22mbps routers.

Well, i'm satisfied I just installed it and it worked.
  • edited July 2003
    Did you ever ask your father what his fix was?
  • Raid0Raid0 California
    edited July 2003
    Hey! just a heads up. I saw on the news where these guys had some kinda code reader or something like that,and they were able to get information just cruising down the street.,kinda like intercepting a cordless phone conversation.This turned me off on the wireless thing,with credit card#s and online banking not cool.I am not an expert in this wireless thing but just ask around ,just for peace of mind.Good luck.